Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever heard of King Competition Products for Quad Loaders????

Has anyone ever heard of King Competition Products for Quad Loaders? See Link below. They look interesting, I believe made out of the UK and used on the European shotgun circuit. Would be interested to get reviews and comparisons (vs. Invictus, Taccom, etc.)

http://www.kingcompetitionproducts.com/product/14/msh4g4-king-shell-holder

Edited by IFlynn

1 hour ago, sschultz said:

Or you could just buy the TACCOM ones.

Used to have Taccom, switched to invictus (far better in my opinion). Interesting in KING as I'm building a new vest for high round count stages. 

2 hours ago, IFlynn said:

Thanks for sharing. 

A pretty good pistol shooter from Mesa, Az. once told me that knowledge unshared is worthless. :)

I'm lucky to have some friends over in the UK and get to see some of there shotgun stages.

I played with the new version a couple weeks ago, they are pretty awesome.  Better than anything else out there.  They have very good retention and smooth release.  I liked them enough that I ordered some from Aaron Hayes.

• 2 weeks later...

They are made in Finland. The company is owned by two top IPSC shotgun shooters Jaakko Viitala and Kim Leppänen. Gen4 is an old model. Gen5 is simply the best twin/quad load shell holder available today.

I'm one of the Brits Dan is talking about.

I still own every Taccom that has ever been released, Invictus, Ghost, Magload, Ezload & the gen4 Kings... some of those have been in my belt at the same time.

They have all been retired to the belt I let newbies train with so they can judge which is best for them.

I let them use my gen5 rig if they're nice & pay me in beer.

I'm now exclusively using the gen5 from Kings.

Price might be an issue, but for me it's like tyres on a race car. Would you put remoulds on a Ferrari?

Anytime any of you lovely people are heading to the UK, give me a shout & we'll see what we can do about getting you into a match 

We created the King MSH system with Kim Leppänen originally in 2014, before last Shotgun World Shoot. Reason was that we wanted to win :) and needed something better than the traditional clip and spring designs that were available that time. We've already had the "top pusher design" in use that time in Finland, which removes the shell tilt (the top pusher design was also adopted many others after the 2015 SG WS). In addition to the top pusher, we created the magnet retention and the lower module design to improve the retention/release ratio. Everything went quite well in the last World Championships, and the finns came home with a good amount of president medals, which 12 were shot by using the King  generation 3 rig. Many shooters were interested in the system, so we made King Competition Products commercial.

The generation 5 that was released April 2017 is again improved system. It is self leveling, which means that the lower module will adjust itself to different shell heights. So no screws need to be touched when changing from birdshot to slugs, or no tuning is required to level correctly the upper and lower module. We also increased the hold, as it was noticed necessary when Kim was on his USA 3-gun tour 2016. So much changes were needed to accomplish everything we wanted, that the 5th generation no longer really looks very traditional. To work correctly, the self leveling system requires a "skeleton", which is makes the gen 5 look quite apart from previous designs. But we are confident it technically outperforms everything else that is available for tube shotgun reloading.

The MSH design works best as a single uniform rig, for what it is intended for. In IPSC, the amount of shells on the belt is usually around 28. To get consistent loads, a shotgun rig needs to be uniform, and the shells need to be as close to each other than possible. With this kind of system it is possible to load fast repeatedly, the wider the shells are positioned on a person, the less consistent the reloads are due to the optimal angle/reach of the reloading hand. In european IPSC, the distances between shooting positions can be quite short, which means that the loads need to be fast.

The gen 5 skeleton design also allowed us to increase the mounting possibilities on different belt clips, and the least belt space consuming design is of course very useful on any type of belt or setup. We're very happy about the interest our systems have gotten. We are very committed competitive shooters ourselves, so it feels very rewarding to be able to develop new systems and techniques that are adopted by the competitors and evolve the sport.

- Jaakko Viitala

Hi Jaakko, thanks for the information.

This question is not strictly on the King system, but what are your conclusions on weak hand quad loading compared to strong hand quad loading?  Has one come to dominate the other, or is it still a mixture at the top of the game?  What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Weak hand vs strong hand... :) 

A good question and the complete answer is not very short. I think we will make a article about this, as we have collected quite much data.

But to try to make a short answer, in last world championships, around 30% of overall medalist were weak hand loaders (excluding open of course). Percentage should be in the ballpark, categories not included. I would make educated guess that in 2018 world championships we will see less weak hand loaders on the podium. But as both techniques have proven to be effective, it seems to be more of a question of personal preference.

There is a big list of situations that can somewhat favor either technique.  Weak hand loading will give advantage in some moving directions and start positions. Strong loading hand can allow for faster reload recovery and better visuals etc.. Strong hand technique is usually easier to master in shorter time, if one is just starting to get in to shotgun shooting, and doesn't mind cutting up the loading port. And consistency is the key what a competitor should be looking for first, not the special tricks.