Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First timer.. 1x red dot for 3-gun on a 100 yard range?

taymag

I hate being the guy that asks the same damn question that was asked 100 times that week, but I've been shooting USPSA a while and my club runs a 3-gun match and figured what the hell, might as well since I know everyone and love rifle/shotgun shooting just as much...

Here's my question(s), we shoot on a 100 yard range, is there any reason for anything over 1x red dot (mainly asking cause I have a handful of them already)? And being a 100 yard range, most of my nicer Ar's are SBR's, assuming I am not trying take win the world championship and considering the 100yard max the sbr's are fine right (and do the rules allow)?

Next time at the range, take some 6" and 9" paper plates and put them at distances you think plates and poppers are set during a match.  Shoot them with your red dot and if possible also shoot with a scope.  See which works best for you.

In my case (old eyes), past 60 yards I do much better with a scope.  I may only need 2x or 3x but it does help.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

A dot for my near sighted eyes is GTG out to around 100. Actually for me I struggle if running a variable dialed up much more than 1.5. 

Just understand the MOA of the dot and your zero. It you have a big dot like a Trijicon 8 MOA, realize you may cover your target unless you zero it like doting an I.

Agreed. Totally fine with a red dot inside 100 yards. In fact, you'd be totally fine with iron sights, but those are a lot cheaper, and half the fun of shooting 3 gun is watching your paycheck turn into gear.

It depends on the kind of targets you're shooting at.  With clearly visible targets of reasonable size a red dot is sufficient.  If they put up targets that are obscured, or ones that have a small area you can hit, then things might change.  Imagine a USPSA target with only the head area available, and the rest covered with a no shoot...

You're most welcome Jack.

STIboy brings up a good point. That's why I would sight in your rifle so that POI sits directly on top of your POI at 50 yards. Also, you should have no issues with the SBR, as long as your club allows them.