Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LPA rear sights

twister

My rear sights are fiber optic. I do have an LPA that came on a S&W Competitor from the factory. It's the best rear sight I've seen. I would highly recommend it if you can find one. I want to get a fiber LPA rear for the Competitor, but haven't been able to afford it yet.

Edited by Toolguy

If you want to get a fiber LPA, I would trade you the black one for it. The fiber ones might be easier to get, don't know. This would be for an L frame. I don't want to let go of the one that's on there until I have a replacement.

9 hours ago, twister said:

Pete, thanks for the info, I was able to order them. Alec can, thanks for the info on the Rough country sights. I'll look into them if the LPA sight doesn't work out.

Hope that works out ... Found one all black ... a little more but cheap shipping (day late / dollar short ... sigh ...) -_-

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/lpa-txt-black-target-blade-smith-wesson-revolver-rear-sight/

... and ... an a 2 year old thread talking about the Bowen ... (I have one of those) ...

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/220175-bowen-rear-sight-for-929/

• 2 years later...

"Accurate" is not a problem - any sights that don't move will be plenty accurate. Arguably, they will be as accurate as your gun once you sight them in correctly, the small difference coming from width/depth and your ability to line them up correctly. However, this is normally order of magnitude smaller effect than your ability to hold the gun and fire it without disturbing the sight picture. 

What you look for in action shooting is the ability to acquire the sight picture and recognize it quickly. This is where the fiber rear sights will actually hurt you - too much clutter and it slows you down. Depending on the type of shooting you do, you might or might not care. You might even want rear fibers if you are hunting and need contrast against very dark targets such as animal hide in the shade. In such a case, you don't care about the speed, but about the ability to see the sights. 

With that said, I have LPA rear sights on several revolvers and like them very much. Are they necessary? Not really. There is a tad less distraction because the rear blade is completely flat, unlike the factory sight which has a small cylinder-shaped blade holder. This is a very small difference and doesn't justify the price of the upgrade if you are only looking for basic functionality. I liked the look of the LPA sights and that was the reason I upgraded... :)

I found what IVC said to be true regarding rear fibers.  I had the whole christmas tree going on and it wasn't until a trainer suggested I black them out that I really noticed how distracting they were.  I got the idea from someone who helped us when we were brand new action shooters, his CZ had those sights on.