Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger Extension - to clamp or not to clamp?

I have reread the M3000 and the M3500 threads and done a lot of looking around, but I can't seem to find a consensus.  I see guns set up both ways, with and without the barrel extension clamp.

I know I could/should just get out and test it myself, but this is supposed to be a "budget" build, so if others can tell me whether the $$ clamp a ) affects accuracy with slugs and b ) is necessary on a +7 length tube, I would be happy to learn from their experience.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.  More details below if you care to read,

--Chris

Where I am so far if anyone is interested:

I am  building a 3500  with a 28" barrel because I thought I wanted the longer fore end and I got a "deal" on it.  I bought it slightly used and have polished the magazine tube.  Before I did anything else or spent more money on it, I shot a steel challenge match last night with it using Winchester AA 2 3/4 inches 2 3/4 dram eq 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot 1145 fps which is a "lighter" load than the generic walmart stuff which comes in a 3 dram equivalent.  I only had one issue, during the second stage a shell ejected but a new one did not load.  I racked the action and continued without another hiccup.

I didn't have any of the low recoil low noise 980 fps stuff to try.  I would like to see how it acts, so I will take a box next time. My Saiga wouldn't run it and I don't think my Beretta 1201 fp does either.

Some observations:

It throws a really nice pattern with the modified choke

The standard bolt handle was fine the one time I racked it in a hurry

The safety is a little stiff and could probably benefit from a larger smoother button.

It's LONG and swings okay, but I may play with the cast and drop a bit to see if I can make it better.  I noticed myself shooting from more of a bladed stance than I do with the shorter gun.  That may be a result of the longer fore end which I thought I wanted, but I may be reaching too far out on it.  I need someone to watch me next time.  The 28" barrel gives enough room that a +6 tube will be basically flush  and +7 will only be about 1.5" longer  The +7 should allow me 12 in the tube, so depending on whose rules I am under, a quad load at the buzzer should be possible.

It's heavy and the mag tube and extra shells will make it more so.

The action cycles slower than the Beretta.  Not enough to slow you down anywhere but the plate rack, but I did notice it there. I shot one rack with the Beretta just to be sure and it was lots quicker(the action not necessarily me).

The +7 Nordic MXT kit and follower are on the way (i don't know that I needed the follower since mine was metal but the Nordic may be longer and thus better).  I will shoot another steel match with the tube in place and loaded to see if the additional weight effects anything.

If that pans out, we move on to the more "permanent" mods like opening the loading port.

Edited by .40isthenew.45

It looks to me like it needs a clamp of some kind.  I had a cheaper on in a box that I put on for now.  The end of the tube would move more under finger pressure than I felt comfortable with.   I can't imagine what dunking it in a dump barrel would do without it.

And yes, it's long.  About 2.75" past the barrel, but it does hold a dozen.  An extended choke is in the future and will make it "look" better, at least to me.

itslong.jpg

Edited by .40isthenew.45

2 hours ago, .40isthenew.45 said:

POA = POI at 35 yards, no ill effects from the clamp noted.

Problem we had when we clamped my son's Benelli is that POI  with slugs will change if you take the clamp off to clean it and don't put it back on exactly as you had it before. He went to the Taccom stabilizer. Does not touch the barrel only clamps to the tube.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen shotguns without clamps bring abused and thrown with no problems. I keep the taccom one on just in case but I don't know if it's absolutely necessary though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk