Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO'ing at local matches . how much does it affect your

7 hours ago, 2MoreChains said:

RO-ing while on a squad is not a big deal.

Have noticed that there is a significant difference between being 50 ish and never having a chance to sit down and being 60 ish and never having a chance to sit down. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big issue is stamina.  We all have our own levels of it.  For sure my ability to do my best in a match is affected by my energy level.  So I manage it.  I do things with home exercise equipment, and just my bodyweight, interspersed with dry fire sessions.  I help reset stages, RO, score, pick up brass, but am not shy about stopping all of that when I'm on deck.  The biggest challenge is summer USPSA matches when it's 115 degrees.  Those matches have the most movement and they last the longest.  One's stamina is well tested.

My least favorite thing is when I'm the RO, am out there all alone, taping and lifting steel, and I see 6 guys just standing there watching me.  I don't hesitate to say something when that's the case.  The most effective comment I've found is, "This will go a lot faster if everyone helps reset the stage."

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Have noticed that there is a significant difference between being 50 ish and never having a chance to sit down and being 60 ish and never having a chance to sit down. 

I’ll bear that in mind in 10 years.  That said, I don’t skip setup because I’m afraid it will tire me out and affect my game.  

Not an RO, but unless I'm on deck, I'm pasting and resetting. Probably not as mentally taxing, but reaching over and picking up steel can take a physical toll. At the matches I frequent, there are usually at least three RO's and a couple people who know how to keep score so it rotates around. Recent knee surgery has brought home in a painful way how much I'm on my feet during a match. I used to take a camp stool to get off my feet between resets, but it turned out I seldom used it. I'm in the "almost 60" category, and yes stamina is part of my match strategy. I come early to squad where I shoot the classifier early in the day. After the mid-point, my scores do suffer.

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

do you suppose there is any way to combat that trend? like perhaps exercising, staying in shape, etc...?

I'm only 56, but I I like staying involved in the stage, whether resetting, RO-ing, or both. For sure I am tired after the match, but I think playing hockey and bicycling regularly helps me stay focused all the way to the end of the match.

51 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

do you suppose there is any way to combat that trend? like perhaps exercising, staying in shape, etc...?

You can be in good shape for an old fart, but I don't know of a desirable way to get around becoming an old fart.