Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Footwork drills? Whatcha got?

nikdanja

I'm an A class shooter who's going to be knocking on the door of master by the end of the summer but my footwork need improvement. 

Other than bringing a camera to video dryfire and live fire practice entry and exit drills, what else are you guys doing to work on your footwork? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 4:54 AM, BenBreeg said:

I think the agility ladder is a waste of money.  You can easily set up unlimited variations of entries and exits in dry and livefire to practice movement.

Makes sense to me.  I've started doing it. It doesn't take much room.  

During a Manny Bragg class, we did a variation of this with pistols and steel plates 

I think the main aspect of the drill is to call the shot and leave the position the instant you break the shot, but incidentally, there’s also plenty of opportunity to work on every/exit positions. 

• 3 weeks later...

One good piece of advice that I received is to work on exploding out of your last position (after a last good shot) as quickly as possible but then shuffling or easing yourself in to the next position in a way that allows the quickest re-entry/re-engagement without being out of control or off balance.

This takes a bit of practice, since eventually has to be done almost subconsciously. 

Plyometric exercises are a good way to train for this,

We made 3 shooting boxes and set them up in a triangular array such as 2 at 7 yards 10 yards apart then 1 at 10 yards between the 2.  We would set 1 target basically in front of the 10 yard Box at the beep 2 shots from each box. You can vary the start box, the direction you go etc. I don't know if it helped us but it certainly didn't hurt us. We focused on getting out of a box and being ready to shoot as soon as possible upon entry into the next box.  Of course your shots had to be there also.