Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 9mm slow cycling

Brandon04GT

So I have an STI 2011 Tactical DS 5.0 in 9mm. It came from the factory with a 10lb recoil spring and 15lb mainspring.

I had since changed the MS to a 17# and have been experimenting with different recoil springs. I had since tried a 12# (would barely cycle), 11# (shells would just dribble out the ejection port) and a 10# (so far has been the best one albeit the slide is still cycling slow)

I had put about 600 rounds thru it before sending it back to STI for unrelated reasons which resulted in them refinishing the slide. A few days ago I put it 400 rounds thru it. Shells were ejecting 1-3' away and after a few hundred rounds, the slide really began to feel a bit slow. I am wondering what other spring combos I can try to increase performance while maintaining durability and reliability. Althought I was shooting Remington UMC and Blazer Brass 9mm which seems to be loaded on the lower side, I am setting this gun up for "HD/Duty" instead of gaming so I may also be shooting some stouter HD rounds.

So far I am thinking of either:

1. Replace the mainspring with a 15# and hope I don't get light strikes.

2. Replace the mainspring with a 15# and go up to an 11# recoil spring to help with speed.

3. Keeping the existing 17# mainspring/10lb recoil spring combo and shooting it more to see if the gun breaks in further and smooths out.

I'm guessing since I have a full rail version with a more meaty/heavier slide, that doesn't quite help either.

Thanks

Edited by Brandon04GT

9# spring and minimum 17#ms.

I use a 10# in my guns but I run a heavier load. It run wwb 115 just fine.

I would check mag feed lips for burrs. It could cause rounds to drag coming out of the mag slowing down your slide.

Last year I picked up guide rod that had a few high ridges slowing the spring movement. I found that by accident when detail stripping gun. Playing with spring noticed it was really tight to the rod in a couple spots.

I've run a 15# ms for 2yrs no light strikes using Cci federal mag tech and S&B primers. I've used 9,8,7 recoil springs settled for the 7# variable Wolfe with shock buff as my loads are only 105PF. Put about 5000 rounds through it.

Have two Eagles and a Trojan in 9mm. Love um. All three have 15 pound recoil springs

along with my 40 and 45 guns. Never had a light hit using Winchester Primers.

Trojan has about 30.000 rounds with the same spring runs Great.

Put the 10lb recoil spring back in or a 9lb along with 15lb main,

Put a little Mobil 1 in there when you change the spring it will run.

• 8 months later...

Ive messed with a lot of different springs.  I run roughly 125 pf with 147 gr fyi.  Ive had too high of a main spring, up to 19lb and the gun wouldnt even run my 125 pf loads due to the mainspring slowing down the slide.  I run a 13lb now with a 7lb recoil spring.  Ive tried as low as 5lb but the slide had too much lag and tossed that asap.  The 6 lb felt nice but it was a tad slow to shoot fast and clean.  Not a good thing but I could be a little more lacks with my grip.  I'm working up now trying 8lb soon.  But I have run a 7lb on a 5" and 6" slide both.  

Ive also had gun issues and required heavier springs.  Ive gotten my guns cleaned up and could run any spring combination reliable.