Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.270wsm oal problems

Johrichal

Hi guys im trying to work up a load for my kimber .270wsm hunting rifle im using 130gr sierra bullets. Im having some troubles figuring out my max oal for this load it seems the throat of this rifle is very short. I tried making a "dummy" round and coloring the bullet with a sharpie and seating the bullet deeper and deeper till no marks from the lands appeared in the bullet and they stop showing up around 2.744" which seems very short! SAAMI specs list 2.860 as max OAL. And the federal commercial ammo I had laying around measures 2.780" and ive never had a problem chambering factory ammo. I loaded up a ladder at 2.730" which is the shortest oal load data I could find and they all chambered well, accuracy was so so but I found a good accuracy node that I would like to work on a little more by adjusting seating depth. I put together another dummy round and seated it to 2.800" the cartridge chambers fine with no increase in pressure required to close the bolt handle and no extra pressure required to extract the cartridge but I do see scratches around the bullet ogive from contacting the lands which has me confused as I would think that if the bullet was being shoved into the lands it would be harder to chamber and extract.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this common?