Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody using 125gr HAP in minor?

mwenger

I was cleaning out my reloading room tonight and realized that I have a couple hundred 125gr HAP.  After checking on hodgdon's site, it looks like CFE Pistol is the only powder that even makes minor power factor.  Has anybody tried these out and gotten good results in their 9mm?  I tried hodgdon's suggested load of 4.8gr CFE @1.069 and it started to crush the hollow point once I got around 1.15.  I know that's a pretty long bullet so I'm hoping it's just compressing from too much powder.  Either way, it's confusing me a bit.   

7 hours ago, mwenger said:

CFE Pistol is the only powder that even makes minor power factor.

it started to crush the hollow point once I got around 1.15.

There are tons of powders that will make Minor with that bullet (WW231, TG, etc)

Are you sure you don't mean 9mm Major (PF165+)?

Crushing the HP probably occurred when you chambered the round, and the

bullet slammed into the rifling of the barrel?    Not sure why else a bullet

loaded LONG would be crushed.

Any photos?  Or other description of what exactly is happening?

Th Hodgdon website is merely a starting point.  You can use load data for other 124/125g jacketed bullets. Start at the low end of the range and work up using a crono.

I have loaded 125g HAP in the past with Titegroup. If I remember correctly, with a 5" 1911, ~4.0g at 1.120" produced 130ish PF.  I stopped using this bullet due to cost

I never even got as far as to chamber one of them.  They were intended for a CZ so they failed the plunk test.  I only tried to seat one of them.  It was very smooth going until about 1.15 and then it just felt like there was a lot of resistance.  When I took it out and looked I could see that the cavity was slightly smaller than the rest of the bullets.  Obviously I know I don't want to try force anything.  I might just reserve them to my STI Trojan because then I can probably load them longer.  

I'm not sure how "they failed The Plunk Test" if you never tried to "chamber one of them".

To run TPT, you have to drop the cartridge into the chamber ....

Not sure what you mean by seating one of them was smooth until 1.15" ...

Are you expanding the cartridge case sufficiently to seat the bullets?

Sorry, I tried it in my barrel, but never attempted to load them in the assembled firearm to shoot one.  (long night of studying...brain is fried)

I've probably done about 30,000 9mm loads on that rock chucker so I know how they are supposed to feel..that's what I refer to as smooth.  Once the bullet got to around 1.15" oal it just felt like it hit a brick wall and didn't want to seat further.  Pretty sure the flare is good as well.  

What kind of brass is it sounds like you have a piece of brass that has a step in it maybe? I would take it a part and investigate what's going on or just try a different piece of brass and see how it goes from there.