Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine release scallop cut

Polymer

14 minutes ago, Polymer said:

I've been getting several different answers.... Is a scallop cut on glock frame around the magazine release production legal? 

I would say "no".  It's a modification that changes the external appearance of the gun, and is not explicitly stated as "allowed" in the rule book.  

Look at app E3 of the rule book. The dotted line that shows allowable stippling, checkering etc  excludes the immediate area around the mag release on the glock example

Gotcha. Thanks for replies. I ask since I do see stippling on production guns around that area which is technically altering the frame and the rulebook diagram seems generic on the outline of the allowable region.

Edited by Polymer

2 hours ago, Polymer said:

I ask since I do see stippling on production guns around that area which is technically altering the frame and the rulebook diagram seems generic on the outline of the allowable region.

Stippling is OK...it's explicitly allowed in the rules:  Appendix D4, section 21.4

On 6/16/2017 at 11:02 AM, 9x45 said:

Why not just put a G21 mag release on your small frame? It's extended about 2mm, and is legal.

The g21 mag release any longer than the one that comes on the g34? Even the extended one that comes on g34 gen 3 is just a tad too short for me to consistently hit it perfect.

Edited by Polymer

On 6/17/2017 at 9:01 PM, Polymer said:

The g21 mag release any longer than the one that comes on the g34? Even the extended one that comes on g34 gen 3 is just a tad too short for me to consistently hit it perfect.

It's 2.2mm longer in a small frame Glock, same as what's in the G34/G35/G17L/G24.