Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC open 9mm weird firing pin setup?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I took a friends STI DVC 9mm apart today to have a look at the slide setup and soft ejector that keeps bending. When I took the firing pin out it has a weird two spring setup that I have never seen in a STI 2011 before. It looks like a problem waiting to happen to me if any crud gets in between the two springs and sticks the firing pin forward. I have only seen a single firing pin spring on all the 1911's and 2011's so far. Has anyone else have this setup as well? Thanks, Eric

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: The funny part is that this was a brand new pistol from STI and the guy that owns it has never taken out the firing pin. He has only shot about 600 rounds threw it. You can see where it was rubbing on the firing pin spring and was working up the firing pin enlarging the end of the small spring. I did take it out since I thought it would cause the firing pin spring to bind at some point. The firing pin bore is just like a standard slide. Very strange. If you have a DVC you might want to check to make sure yours does not have this and take it out. Thanks, Eric