Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Range Backpack

djbb98

As I've begun traveling to matches farther away and sometimes by plane I'm looking for a range backpack. I have a over the shoulder range bag but that simply won't work for this purpose. I'm looking for a bag that has a good amount of room, is durable and will last a good amount of time. Now I will mainly use this when I travel but other pistol matches as well. The most important thing I'm looking for is it to be able to fit the carry on size requirements of most airlines. I've seen the shooters connection bags and DAA, I've heard issues about both and the Shooters Connection one doesn't seem as sturdy as the DAA but for half the price is it worth it? What is everyone's opinions and experience? Is there another brand I should be looking at?

I used the GPS Outdoors Handgunner backpack for a couple years for 3gun. I think you'd like it. Recently switched to the Shooters Connection backpack for more room for 3gun, plus a couple other features I like versus the GPS bag. (Belt straps on top, vertical pistol sleeve compartment on back, internal pistol mag sleeve area, larger top compartment)

Only been using it for about a month so took early to tell about long term durability, but glad I made the switch thus far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My only experience is with the DAA medium size backpack. I always use it as my carry on for airlines and I keep common range items in it like my ear pros, safety glasses, etc when I fly. The backpack is sturdy but bulky. It has all the room I need so far.

On 6/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, bokbok_05 said:

GPS Tactical Range Backpack. Try searching BE and the net for its review.  You'll not be disappointed.

I've been using that one for the past two years or so. I really like it.

I think it's a much better choice than the GPS Handgunner backpack when used for matches like I do.

On 14/06/2017 at 0:41 PM, davidb72 said:

I've been using that one for the past two years or so. I really like it.

I think it's a much better choice than the GPS Handgunner backpack when used for matches like I do.

agree. I don't think the 'hand gunner' is that great. I like the GPS tactical range bag. I've used it travelling overseas to matches. use it as my carry on bag (with no gun stuff in it obviously) then use it at the range at the match.

it's a great 'travel' and range backpack. 

i have been pondering the same question, my range bag is spilling over these days. i have looked at the GPS designs and like them a lot. We have as hooter from BC that has the DAA rolling bag and its pretty bad ass. but cost is crazy. hes a pretty active competitor so he definitely has put it to use. Last time I spoke with him he liked it and everything about it.... im torn between the two GPS models and really need to make a decision soon....let us know which way you go and why?

13 minutes ago, sheepdog69 said:

i have been pondering the same question, my range bag is spilling over these days. i have looked at the GPS designs and like them a lot. We have as hooter from BC that has the DAA rolling bag and its pretty bad ass. but cost is crazy. hes a pretty active competitor so he definitely has put it to use. Last time I spoke with him he liked it and everything about it.... im torn between the two GPS models and really need to make a decision soon....let us know which way you go and why?

Go with the TACTICAL range backpack from GPS. Much better for USPSA than the HANDGUNNER one ironically enough.

3 hours ago, sheepdog69 said:

thanks for that David can you tell me why you think its a better choice? features size etc ? 

The layout seems better for the kind of things we like to take to the range with us. The three pistol bags versus the foam insert is more useful to us as well.

They are similar in size so that's not an issue.

I bought a used daa backpack, the large one.  The zippers are not that great on them.  The zipper in the lower compartment does not work at all unless you really encourage it.  

The guga ribas backpack looks really nice, I dont know if its built any better or not.  

I'm using the handgunner backpack, threw the foam insert out and use the lower compartment for gun rugs and a fly fishing box I use as a parts/toolkit.  I prefer the larger top compartment and like the mag storage in the side pockets (24 single stack mags). For the $50 saved over the tactical, I can buy my own gun rugs.  I hated the little tags that say whats where, so I cut the stitching with an xacto knife and pulled them off.  One inside zipper has already failed. Its not used much and isn't overstuffed so I'd say its a material flaw. Size is about right for its intended use, for me. I'd worry about stuffing too much crap into a bigger bag and making it unmanageably heavy

My .02

I have the GPS Handgunner backpack and am very happy with it.  My only complaint is no pouch for a water bottle; otherwise I love it.  I've never tried the Tactical one in person, but compared pictures before ordering and decided I'd like the Handgunner one more.  I like all the smaller outside pockets for organizing all the junk I carry around and it doesn't look like the Tactical one has as many different pockets.  I also like the 12 mag pouches in the outside pockets.  I immediately tossed the foam insert thing and use gun rugs.  I can fit up to 4 gun rugs in that bottom section, or a mix of guns and ammo boxes.  I've carried 400+ rounds in top and bottom sections at different times and both compartments hold the weight fine and don't collapse. 

Hello: The Shooters Connection backpack and the Ernie Hill are the same. I am using using the Milspec Monkey Boss for pistols and the Adapt pack for PCC. I use inserts on the inside on both and some pouches on the Adapt pack on the outside. I am going to try one of my sons old soccer backpacks next with inserts for the inside. I like the backpack to be light when empty since I can make it heavy enough with all my stuff. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, scooterj said:

I'm very partial to the original CED Backpack. Very well made and simple but will hold all you need. 

Wish they still made that one. The nylon/cloth is solid from what I have seen and felt in person. I want to go with the shooters conn bag, but I am not paying $30 to ship it. That's just a principle thing for me. I have given a hard look at the GPS Handgunner, a friend has one and likes it, but doesnt use it hard. If I carried more junk I would get the small DAA. 

Edited by BallisticExpansion