Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Frontier Modular 9mm Bolt

No experience with the NFA bolt, but make sure you aren't going to be running something like a JP SCS since the rear weight isn't removable in that bolt. As far as the Nordic bolt, why not get a JP bolt in that price range?

I have a NFA modular bolt... I broke a blue steel firing pin at about 400 rounds, and NFA replaced it immediately with a stainless firing pin that now has 3000 or so rounds on it without a problem (I did round the profile of the rear of the pin) ... I like the idea of the AR15 extractor....the NFA bolt is around 17.5oz if I remember correctly... I use a 5.2oz rifle buffer in a rifle stock and the set up works well with a 146power factor 135 load...I have a couple of PSA bolts with pistol style extractors, but they do not have nearly the round count as the NFA , but are working fine

Hello: I had a KAW valley bolt and it worked very well. Sold it to a friend who is using it now and it works great for him. He had the modular bolt and it did not work for him at all. I would shop around for a while and see what you can find. I found some great deals on JP bolts and their buffer setup. I am also using a Matrix bolt with 223 spring and a 5.2 oz buffer as well. Both work well using 147 grain bullets or 124 grain bullets at 134 PF. We had 14 PCC's at the match today all with different setups and makers. Thanks, Eric

11 hours ago, Les Snyder said:

I have a NFA modular bolt... I broke a blue steel firing pin at about 400 rounds...

Reading the reviews, this seems to be a common issue.  I have read suggestions that it is best to exchange the firing pin and spring for a CMMG.

Cy.... my back up firing pin is a Colt, and it is virtually identical to the NFA stainless firing pin, though I don't know the metallurgy or heat treat... as I 've commented, I think that rounding the rear of the firing pin is a good idea as it allows the hammer to hit the pin more perpendicular to the center bore of the barrel....my replacement stainless NFA pin is working well... regards