Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Torquing rings

I posted this here because is what I noticed after my match today.   

When shooting long range stuff, 200-425 yards I was off and couldn't hit what I knew was correct hold overs. 

I know the rings are tight to spec should I give them a little more and resight rifle. 

Why would the optic slide backwards 

IMG_2112.JPG

• 1 month later...

Years ago when I hunted a lot more all the Burris rings I used came with a thin friction tape that was placed on the surface of the ring so the scope wouldn't move.

Is this not done anymore?

• 5 weeks later...

I have noticed scopes moving before , and the looks of your pic (upside down) it appears the scope is moving toward the muzzle ? Which is the exact thing I've seen before...The reason for this (my opinion) is the scope stays "stationary" while the rifle recoils rearward, therefore making it appear the scope is moving. Think of it as the tablecloth trick,  jerk the tablecloth fast enough and all the dishes stay on the table.. Does this make sense?   A little more torque on the rings or the tape as others have suggested usually will do the trick.  Also another thing to consider when mounting an optic is moving your rings as far forward in the slots on your rail/base  before torquing them to the base.. Doing this will prevent the rings/mount from becoming that "stationary object" and moving, granted it can only move a small amount, but in this case a little bit can mean a lot.