Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass

Eric1231

Lately I have been losing more brass than I have been collecting i.e. Major matches and local matches. It seems at the local uspsa matches I lose all the brass I shoot. Basically somebody is always grabbing brass while people are resetting. What is the etiquette on this should I be grabbing brass or resetting?

How do you guys keep your brass supply stocked? If you buy 9 mm brass what is the going rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I consider 9mm brass to be a consumable at matches.
Buy once fired police brass in bulk.
Unless, of course, I'm shooting this:

986.JPG.7ef67265300d5d539025179ed05d138a.JPG

Do the local departments sell it to the public or do you get it some where else?

I work 2 or 3 major matches a year so I don't have to worry about picking up brass at locals. 

Unless we are 2 or 3 squads deep on a stage then I'll pick it up. I would rather the match run smooth and get out 20 minutes earlier than worry about brass I got for free anyways. 

I've went to matches where no one picked it up until the stages were tore down. I've went to matches where 2 people would pick up brass and give it back to the shooter. Most places are somewhere in between. I can't imagine buying 9 brass at this point though 

Edited by Kraj

For local matches i stay behind after the last stage and after i put away my gear. Easier to pickup brass when you are not in a way of a match. Mostly i pickup at my home range after my practice, most dont pickup their brass. I enjoy the match and not worry about picking up brass.

19 hours ago, Eric1231 said:

Lately I have been losing more brass than I have been collecting i.e. Major matches and local matches. It seems at the local uspsa matches I lose all the brass I shoot. Basically somebody is always grabbing brass while people are resetting. What is the etiquette on this should I be grabbing brass or resetting?

How do you guys keep your brass supply stocked? If you buy 9 mm brass what is the going rate?

If you want to get back, at a min., Most of your 9mm brass, do you mark it with something?  If no, start doing that AND let your squad mates know "this brass marked like this is mine, if you are picking up brass I'd really appreciate if I could get it back" or something like that.  At local matches you probably already know a large% of the shooters and they know you and most people are generally nice enough to help you out.   Goes the opposite way too, if someone else marks their brass, return it to them or ask who's it is.

If you are not marking your brass then it's fairgame since so many are shooting 9mm, anyone reloading it AND willing to pick it up is going to grab as much as they can.

Hope this helps

This is only based on being at a handful of matches, so YMMV...

At the local indoor matches, they would pick up the brass after every shooter because otherwise it presents a big safety hazard. Brass gets collected and placed on the table for the person to grab when done.

At the couple local outdoor matches there isn't a problem picking it up once the stages are torn down. I shoot, I stay and do some work, and get some brass as a sort of payment. Still have to do all the work picking it up in the rocks, grass, or mud, sort, tumble, dry, process. There was so much left yesterday I probably could have picked up a couple 5 gallon buckets if I wanted to kneel in the sun all day long. One of the guys even said pick up as much as I wanted because they would be pushing everything into the berms at the end of summer. I try to aim to double up whatever I shot that day in collected brass in the caliber I shot. This allows me some practice ammo and some extra stuff to trade if needed. (at the local indoor range my collection rate is about 50% of what I shoot with the rest going downrange so I need to keep collecting extra)

At a state match I had stopped to watch a few weeks back the brass was left for the people working the match. It was their "payment".

I do notice a LOT more aluminum case stuff being sold in 9mm and see a lot of it on the ground. Some of it is not so dull and it looks limilar to nickel plated. Also see a lot more being sold at Walmart. $9/box is a pretty good price.

16 minutes ago, mikeinctown said:

At a state match I had stopped to watch a few weeks back the brass was left for the people working the match. It was their "payment".

That's the way it goes at most matches above locals. Shooters leave the brass to keep the squads moving and ros get to pick it up for volunteering their time

At the clubs I shoot at, no one picks up their brass during the match.  It keeps things moving.  After everything is torn down and stowed, anyone who wishes can go over the fields and pick up whatever they want.

To answer a question posed above.  I buy cleaned brass for 2.5 cents each in 9mm and 3 cents each in 40sw.  I could go to the local indoor range and buy a bulk ammo box filled with once fired 9mm for $10.  That gets you well under 1 cent each, but you have to sort them, separate out the non-9mm and clean them yourself.  I can't be bothered.

Last I bought some it about 150 for 6000 cleaned brass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been cleaning up after the local outlaw multi gun matches and along the pistol range line the days I'm out there practicing. It doesn't seem to take long to mass a decent amount. 

This is just this years pick ups, I still have about 2.5 gallons of 9mm that need to be cleaned out of my stash, the guy I shoot with has another 5 gallon bucket full of 9mm as well

(45 I have a full 5 gallons, and about 2.5 gallons of 40... and a load of 223) I think right now we have about 4-5 night spent sorting all of this brass out 

Cleaning done with a electric concrete mixer, some blue dawn, few spoon full of citric acid and 5lbs of SS pins 

ZpfUKRC.jpg 

XRUrz4y.jpg