Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HOLA! new build, maybe a new question?

NorthernDude

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and wanted to seek the advice of the AR15 gurus, 

I'm building my first AR, wanted to get some advice, always wanted to build a kick butt AR tack driver, so here it goes. 

Building a all purpose rifle, might get into a little 3 gun, lots of target shooting/plinking, seasonal hunting, etc. so far I have my upper being built and about a month out, and just finished my lower receiver machine work. 

Lower 
7075 billet, mil spec, getting engraved and hard anodized 
Strike lower parts kit
LUTH-AR MBA stock 
BAD 45 degree ambi safety 
Elftman service curve trigger 
Ergo original grip 
Battle arms enhanced bolt catch 
Strike industries mag catch 
V7 Ti buffer tube retainer pin 
Cross armory quick pins and pin pal 

Upper (already ordered, sorry for the caps, copy paste off my invoice email) 

CTR-02 BILLET UPPER ASSEMBLY, MATTE BLACK FINISH 
SUPERMATC BARREL, .223 CHAMBER, 18" MEDIUM CONTOUR, 1:8 TWIST, RIFLE-LENGTH GAS SYSTEM, BLACK TEFLON 
3-PORT COMPENSATOR, 1/2"-28 TPI, .875 OD, .281 EXIT, BLACK 
MK III, FREE-FLOATING MODULAR HAND GUARD, XL RIFLELENGTH (15.50" OAL), ROCK BLASTED MATTE BLACK HARD COAT ANODIZED 
ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK, .936 BORE, BLACK ALUMINUM 
.223 STANDARD FIRING PIN 
LONG THERMAL DISSIPATOR, BLACK, .650 BBL 8.375" 
LOW MASS BOLT CARRIER FOR SMALL FRAME (.223), POLISHED 416 STAINLESS FINISH 
ENHANCED BOLT ASSEMBLY .223, CLEAR FINISH 
223 UPPER PACK CTR-02 UPPER ACCESSORY PACK 
GEN 2 SILENT CAPTURED SPRING SYSTEM FOR AR-15 TYPE RIFLE INCLUDING SPACER FOR USE IN RIFLE LENGTH EXTENSION TUBE 

Optics
MICROELECTRONIC REFLEX SIGHT, CIRCLE DOT, 65 MOA RING WITH 1 MOA DOT 
RAIL OFFSET ADAPTER, 45 DEGREE ON BORE AXIS, 1.25" LONG 
RAIL ADAPTER FOR JPOINT SIGHT, COMPATIBLE WITH M-1913 PICATINNY OR MOST WEAVER TYPE RAILS 
WINGED GUARD ADAPTER FOR ANY JPOINT MOUNT 

Looking to get 
Swarovski Z3 Rifle Scope 4-12x 50mm Ballistic Turret 
JP rings 
Thinking the 12x should be is good enough especially since it's nice glass 

Also got a 22LR conversion so I can use it at my place from time to time, I'm in the country but cracking off 223 wouldn't be as friendly on the ears for my target traps as 22LR. 

So far it's going together pretty smooth MINUS the AR stoner A2 tube, seems like with the Cross Armory quick pins the tube is about 2.5 threads short of covering the buffer retainer plunger hole, since the Luth-AR MBA1 requires the A2 tube, anyway to get the MBA1 stock and my quick pins to play nice?  

image.jpg

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Vespid_Wasp said:

Are you in California?  Hence the reason for the quick pins?

I travel bit with my work and for fun, so it's not uncommon for me to find myself in a less than constitutional state from time to time, also I just plane old like them, between cleaning and also swapping over to 22LR, seems like a cool piece, especially with the pin pal that prevents wear on the forward pivot. 

I took another look, seems like the plate for the pins is 1/8", so I'm 1/8" aft of where I sould be, could I just cut 1/8 of the threaded end off of another tube and thread it up to the existing buffer tube, and add a 1/8" shim behind the JP buffer?

Or does someone make a longer threaded A2 tube?

Want to build this rifle right, just trying to figure the best way to resolve this issue :(

Edited by NorthernDude

32 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Don't worry about the buffer retainer. It's not needed with the SCS  (silent captured spring).  When installing a SCS I leave the retainer out.

So all I need is a 1/8" spacer in the back of the tube to push the buffer forward?

On 6/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, NorthernDude said:

So really, no retainer plunger needed eh?

Not needed at all with the SCS.  In fact, aside from retaining the buffer spring when you disassemble the gun, you don't NEED a retainer plunger in a standard AR.  If you hold the buffer in place and get the upper pinned on, it works just fine without it.   It just makes disassembly a PITA.