Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB setup pic request.

This thread has a ton of options for setting up your bench.  Some of the older posts (the thread started in 2003) have broken images but you can skip ahead a few pages to see relevant content.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:33 AM, jhgtyre said:

This thread has a ton of options for setting up your bench.  Some of the older posts (the thread started in 2003) have broken images but you can skip ahead a few pages to see relevant content.

That's what I'm talkin about. Thanks.

On 6/11/2017 at 6:42 AM, 9x45 said:

Mine came with the strong mount as match product, but I have my old 550 bolted directly.

image37491.jpg

I've seen this posted here before and anytime I hear someone say they don't have enough room for a reloading bench I tell them about it.  It isn't pretty but it looks like it gets the job done.

6 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I've seen this posted here before and anytime I hear someone say they don't have enough room for a reloading bench I tell them about it.  It isn't pretty but it looks like it gets the job done.

Bench? damn spoiled people... 

Ow3n3Cxm.jpg

=) really this was a temp setup I was using while I had my reloading room ripped apart, its a old midway portable reloading stand that I added a plywood top to w/ t-tracks 

(oh and a DIY 3/4" plywood "strong mount") 

Where I am set up now, presses on the bench depend on what I'm messing with, tho I really just need to get a XL650 =) 

P78jzyEl.jpg

JH, thanks, but that's the space I have, all from scrap lumber, and so it's right sized for me. Quite efficient actually, and besides I don't like reloading any more than cleaning guns. It's just a necessary part of getting to what happens after the beep...

15 hours ago, Wolfmetalfab said:

Where I am set up now, presses on the bench depend on what I'm messing with, tho I really just need to get a XL650 =) 

P78jzyEl.jpg

What's that cool red machine? An antique?

1 hour ago, pkrhed said:

What's that cool red machine? An antique?

Looks like a Sovereign Instruments Texan Loadmaster.  At least that's what came up in a search.  Like Steve RA said, "just an older Turret Press."

12 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Looks like a Sovereign Instruments Texan Loadmaster.  At least that's what came up in a search.  Like Steve RA said, "just an older Turret Press."

exactly what it is. I guess you can call it "cool" but I would rather have a 550 or 650 on the bench (or some other flavor progressive) 

650 w/ case & bullet feed is in my plans, and then I can trade out the case trays all over the bench for hundro gauges =) 

A good turret press, like a good single stage press is handy for any number of functions that aren't really what a progressive is designed for.  If they are good quality and have been cared for they will last longer than the average person using them.

Very true, when it was on my dad's bench that turret was loaded up with all the decap dies as he would decap everything and then walnut tumble them. I'm now wet tumbling everything before I even sort the range brass and the turret is loaded up with 9mm and 40 sets right now... Not sure how I might utilize it after I get a 650 tho...

Good like your dad did it, good to decap prior to wet tumbling.

I sort all I pick up, decap, wet tumble some together and some separated, depends on whether they will "nest" or not.  Then prime ones I'm keeping to use for myself.  Whenever I get around to loading I'll lube in a plastic bag, load and clean off lube in some walnut hull for 15 or 20 minutes.