Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release Button

Gomar83

This totally depends on what you want.  There are tons of mag buttons out there.  Some are paddle style some are buttons and they are all different sizes and textures.  Some people have trouble with the paddle style buttons, myself included.  I will occasionally bump the button with my palm when I'm really pushing it.  I personally love the feel and size of the STI paddle button.  That said I'm very close to getting rid of it because of mag drop issues.  I need it but if I drop one more mag I'm going to learn to do without.  If  you can make that button work with your hands then I would highly recommend it.

One of those things where there is no "one size fits all"  I have medium/large hands with short thumbs.

Single stack guns---Wilson Combat mag release/paddle.

Open guns--STI paddle, and I fuss with a new one until I get the angle just perfect.

My wife has TINY hands---Mitchell right side release for her.

2 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Has anyone used the teardrop style that SVI offers?

It only fits SVI grips, I tried a Dawson, IMHO it was marginally better than nothing, I'm really liking the RHT snake skin paddle, one big issue with it though it comes with a metric screw, so plan on buying a 4-40 screw

21 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

What is the difference between the paddle vs. the button? Edge40 you mention some have trouble with the paddle which would be easier being that i have small hands?

It is easier for sure.  I have smaller hands also.  Problem is sometimes I hit the button with my palm and drop the mag.  Usually on high stress reloads where its a real rush to get it done.  Like a classifier.  I switched to the IDPA length dawson mag release and put the heavy spring in it.  That seems to have remedied the problem but if not its back to a regular ole lo pro button.  I kind of need the paddle but it may not work out.  Ill have to get used to flipping the gun in my had for mag changes.

Fair warning to anyone that buys that large Dawson button - it is HUGE. You have to trim it.

I put it on my gun and took it to a match as a joke and everyone got a kick out of how ridiculously big it is.

9 hours ago, davidb72 said:

Fair warning to anyone that buys that large Dawson button - it is HUGE. You have to trim it.

I put it on my gun and took it to a match as a joke and everyone got a kick out of how ridiculously big it is.

You don't have a pic by any chance do you?  I always wondered how big it really was.

I gave up on mag buttons.  I accidently activated them and dropped mags during the corse.  I took the mag button off my Open guns and my 1911s.  I like it better, even though I have small hands.  I did just try a Dawson IDPA legal release on one of my 1911s and I like it.

Be careful ordering anything made in Europe.  Many of the mag button are metric sizes and will not fit on American mag release stems.  Found that out the hard way.

3 hours ago, Mikeski said:

Try the Limcat one that Shooter's Connection has. I was running the Arredondo ones but they were cracking since they are plastic. The Limcat is nice and can be angled how you want it.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Limcat-Magazine-Release-Paddle-P4370.aspx

That's pimpin'!

3 hours ago, Edge40 said:

That thing really is huge.  That was funny I looked at those pics and I'm like that looks like my old edge.  Looked back at my messages and remembered I sold it to you.  Hows it running?

Runs great - really enjoying shooting Limited.

Should have a new gun from Atlas soon so that one will become the backup.

2 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

how much of a difference is there between RHT snake skin paddle, the Limecat release paddle, and the STI paddle? Has anybody tried all 3 of these or one vs. the other? 

I have only used the Limcat and the Arredondo. I do like the feel of the Limcat, and like how I can angle it based on my grip. There is nothing worse than gripping the gun and dropping a mag at the same time.