Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some input please....carry optics

BigBamBoo

So I a, creeping up on 50 and my eyesight keeps getting worse. Just had a eye exam and the optometrist told me I should really think about LASIK.

Currenty I am shooting SS minor and I am just not seeing my sights. So I am thinking about carry optics. I have a Glock 17, so I would just buy another slide with a red dot.

i was thinking a 6-7 MOA dot would be best, but having no knowledge on this, I welcome the advice.

Also, I am in CA so I am limited to 10 round mags come July. I get that is going to be a huge disadvantage, but it is what it is with our messed up laws in this state.

Just trying to figure something out so I can keep shooting.

thanks

You won't be at a disadvantage as long as you're shooting matches in California. Everyone else in CO Limited and Open will be shooting 10rds... yet people keep saying things like that. ;)

Sell the gun and buy a Glock 17 MOS if you can get them in CA. You won't lose as much in the deal and will be $$$ ahead on getting into optics. Assuming you don't plan to also shoot irons, or course.

Get a 3moa dot because at distance of 15+ a 6moa for will cover up to the entire A zone.

I use a Sight Mark mini shot ultra and it's held zero for 4 months now which is as long as I've owned it. Got it on eBay for $60. Sure they get higher end but this is a great sight that competes with all those others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I shoot CO using a Delta Point Pro for same reasons you mentioned. I'm shooting with the larger 7.5 moa and there is no disadvantage with longer shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beg to differ with that last statement about a 6 moa covering the A zone at 15. I currently have a 6 moa Vortex Viper mounted on a S&W PRO CORE 5" and the difference is not that great you can see plenty of the A zone and see the dot as well, no problem. 

12 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You won't be at a disadvantage as long as you're shooting matches in California. Everyone else in CO Limited and Open will be shooting 10rds... yet people keep saying things like that. ;)

Sell the gun and buy a Glock 17 MOS if you can get them in CA. You won't lose as much in the deal and will be $$$ ahead on getting into optics. Assuming you don't plan to also shoot irons, or course.

We can not get the MOS or any gen 4 Glocks in CA. We have a ever shrinking "safe handgun roster" here and last I hear we only have a total of around 900 pistols on the roster.

Colt just pulled out of CA.

So again, I will be just buying a milled slide for a red dot.

Good input on the dot size. I just figured it would be hard for me to pick up a 3 MOA dot.

Thanks again gents.

The eye sight thing happens!!! Wow I hit 60 this month so I feel your dilemma.

As stated before 6-8 moa will not be a problem. It's what the majority of open shooters use.

Buy the best dot in your budget.

Get a Dove tail mount, to use on your current slide, it maybe all you want.

It's all my wife uses and now she doesn't want to change.

Then if you like co get the slide

Good fortune

So I was able to look through and shoot by buddy's G34 with a RMR 3 MOA dot. It will take some practice to pick it up fast, that is for sure.

I wish I could find someone locally with a 6-7 MOA dot to look at. 

One thing i did not care for was was he has co-witness iron sights. I found myself focusing on the front sight and not see the dot as much as I should.

For those shooting CO, is this the norm they up? I thought you would want to have the dot and not the iron sights?

4 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

For those shooting CO, is this the norm they up? I thought you would want to have the dot and not the iron sights?

It comes down to personal preference.

The majority of CO shooters with dedicated competition guns do not co-witness irons.

I'm shooting CO with a CZ P 09. I had my slide milled as the dove tail mount had the reflex sight sitting higher than I cared for. I personally don't care for co-witnessing the dot with the iron sights, it's a distraction for me. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, BigBamBoo said:

So I a, creeping up on 50 and my eyesight keeps getting worse. Just had a eye exam and the optometrist told me I should really think about LASIK.

Currenty I am shooting SS minor and I am just not seeing my sights. So I am thinking about carry optics. I have a Glock 17, so I would just buy another slide with a red dot.

i was thinking a 6-7 MOA dot would be best, but having no knowledge on this, I welcome the advice.

Also, I am in CA so I am limited to 10 round mags come July. I get that is going to be a huge disadvantage, but it is what it is with our messed up laws in this state.

thanks

why buy a whole new slide? carver and a bunch of other companies will mill your current slide and re-coat it for $150

the bench

I just got a Vortex Viper (they are on Amazon now for $175) and the 6moa dot is smaller than I would have thought. Anything smaller would be too small IMO and I have pretty good eye sight (when my contacts are in)

I run a delta point pro 7.5 chevron on my SW MP Pro Core as my EDC and have no issues what so ever with the size.  Being the chevron I zero to the tip and its great.  It does take a good amount of retraining to go to a RD when you have run irons exclusively prior.  Lots of drawing and bring it up dry fire helps greatly.  But its great and I have no issue with precision out to 50 yards which is as far as I shoot it with any regularity.

I find that driving with the front sight post as your going to target and then focusing on the dot is best way as it helps center everything and you are not hunting to line up target and dot.

I got LASIK years ago.  My distance vision is 20/20 still but I'm blind as a bat now at reading distances.  I use +1.5 cheaters.  

Here's the thing.  Your sights are at reading distance.  So if you get LASIK to correct for that, then you're distance vision goes out of focus.  Same if you use readers.

If you get a red dot though, then everything is in focus because it's all at distance...   

• 1 month later...

I have a milled CZ P09 and a 7moa RMR.  No issues with covering too much of the target at any range.  I have looked at smaller dots and feel that the larger dot helps with sight acquisition.  You will really enjoy carry optics.  Outside of California you can load up like limited and will REALLY enjoy carry optics.  Go for it.

I recommend trying a dovetail amount with optic first to see if you even like using the red dot.  Its a cheaper option than getting a slide milled for one specific optic type and then possibly getting stuck with that 

On 6/9/2017 at 4:06 PM, BigBamBoo said:

thanks

I have a cornea disease that I have had a couple of surgeries for and am blind in my left eye.  I had an opportunity to have a special lens made for my right eye that makes me be able to see the sights clearly and the targets are a blur,  because of the disease k couldn't be considered for lasik,  but know several who love it.  I wish you well and will tell you that if you are determined to succeed then you will.  I shoot limited still and am having a hard time getting out of B class, but I am not going to give up yet.  By the way, it is a hard lens and takes a lot of getting used to.

• 2 weeks later...