Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder mixing question

Ok, so I was loading some .45 on my 650, and a friend came over to ask about life. Since he was already interrupting an energetic and productive reloading session, he went ahead and asked me to show him how easy it was to switch from said .45 to .223. Fun! Here's the rub: I should have said something to the effect of "hey its easy, but I'm a dud mentally and can't keep my head above water when you switch things up on me so let me show you later, ok?" but no- I quickly swapped the lower end, primer system, and went to dump about 300 grains of HP-38 into it's bottle, and proceeded to dump it into a jug of 5620grs worth of A2460. Now, I am wondering if I can still load the 2460/HP38 into some .223? I'm no expert but I would like to think that if I ran minimums I would probably be ok; But I am hoping that someone much more knowledgeable than myself can chime in. Have I ruined the 2460?

I realize that the hp38 is a much faster powder, but I am unclear as of yet what the pressure differences would be, and perhaps the risk is not worth the reward. It will sit, probably, until I come up with a good use for it, or unless someone in the know says I'm being overly cautious.

No, do not use.

Consider this a learning experience. 

This is also a reason I only keep one powder on the bench at any time... I already had my learning experience. 

If you had dumped it into a 8# jug of powder (56000gr) Id say just blend completely, load a few test loads, and test it out.  The HP38 would be sufficiently mixed at a very low ratio of 187gr of 2460 to 1 gr of HP38 I dont see it being an issue.  But into 5600gr, less than a pound, you are looking at an 18 to 1 ratio which is not enough safety factor for me.

Fertilize your lawn IMHO.

Using mixed powder goes against everything I have ever learned about reloading.  Theres the possibility that it could be fine but the other options are just totally unacceptable.  I 100 percent vote fertilize the lawn.  Powder really isn't that expensive.  Just let it go.

4th of July is coming up

i would pour it out in a few small piles with a powder trail in between them some place safe, not in dry brush, not next to your house

light it and celebrate our freedom

Risk / reward situation. 

Risk: a lot. Who knows. Might be fine, might be bad. 

Reward: a little powder that losing won't be too bad a deal. 

No way I would try it but if you do decide to load up a few and try them just remember to use the two most common Mississippi phrases:

1- Hold my beer. 

2- y'all watch this. 

Unfortunately these phrases usually precede a trip to the ER. 

I would err on the side of caution. 

1 minute ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Risk / reward situation. 

Risk: a lot. Who knows. Might be fine, might be bad. 

Reward: a little powder that losing won't be too bad a deal. 

No way I would try it but if you do decide to load up a few and try them just remember to use the two most common Mississippi phrases:

1- Hold my beer. 

2- y'all watch this. 

Unfortunately these phrases usually precede a trip to the ER. 

I would err on the side of caution. 

Those two phrases are universal here in the south. Mississippi cannot lay claim to them.

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

Those two phrases are universal here in the south. Mississippi cannot lay claim to them.

You are correct sir. I apologize. 

While the phrases are universal, I would wager money that MS has the monopoly on number of ER visits afterwards though. 

I'm brand new to reloading and even I would dump it.  I honestly didn't know about the fertilizer trick though, so that is something new I learned from this post. :)  But I would, in no way, use it.  Honestly, I don't care what ratio it would be in.  I wouldn't take that chance, but that is just me.  Again, I'm new to reloading too, but I'd rather waste my money, than waste my hand, face, gun, innocent bystanders, etc...  just my two cents on the subject from a newbie.  LOL :)