Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder to reduce muzzle flash in a 7" 5.56 pistol

Les Snyder

I have an on-going project with a 7" 5.56 AR pistol and need to reduce muzzle flash... I've tried linear comps, 3 prong, and A2 muzzle brakes.... I am stumped trying to control muzzle flash..  does anyone have any experience with extremely short barreled 5.56 ARs with quicker burning propellants than 748... something in the H322 range.... possibly with reduced loads or using pistol propellants...I understand that NATO SS109 rounds have a flash retardant propellant... anyone with practical experience comments would be appreciated... regards Les  L747

I use a lot of IMR4198.  Works great in the shorter barreled rifles.

I also have a couple AR15 pistols.  Works great in them.  I do have a Noveske Pig on the 8.5" barreled pistol.

Thought I had a picture of the 8.5" but can't seem to find it.  This is the 10.5" with a different model "flash can" on it.

IMG_0612_zps6dvjwsji.jpg

my test bed was a solid YHM fore end to act as a flash can, with fender washer behind flash hiders... tried the 3 prong, and A2, along with LeVang linear comp... the noise can be somewhat mitigated, but the flash is currently the problem... thank you

001_zpsjpb9hckh.jpg

Edited by Les Snyder

748 is a pretty slow powder in all reality and you are seeing alot of flash simply because you are getting incomplete burn.  I cant remember but H322 is a ball powder if memory serves, and it does work well for 223, and it burns way faster than 748, so Id try that before messing with long grain powder like a 4198 that you have to trickle for any reasonable accuracy.  Id also stay in the lower 1/3 of the load range for 223 with H322 to help avoid extra flash.  Anyway, a single pound of powder is cheap, so Id try that first.

Fast burn rate powders, short barrels, and short gas systems work pretty well together.  

Kaldor, M1A... thank you ... I have some 748 and H322 loads from a lot of years ago for a test run...I pretty much load only 9mm for the PCC, but the AR pistol project has been fun to work with....regards

22 hours ago, Les Snyder said:

significant reduction in flash with the H322 and 69SMK in the 7" and almost non existent with the 10.5 and a LeVang linear

Very nice, Im glad it worked out for you!