Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Short Disco Problem

cheby

I got the CZC short disco installed in my Shadow 2 along with a CZC Competition hammer, and a 85 C Trigger. No fitting, just drop in parts. I have shot around 1.4K rds through it. Every once in a while I am experiencing a problem decocking the gun and have to apply some force to the hammer to move it. One time I was not able to decock it at all for a while - see the video. After multiple attempts, all the sudden it started working again flawlessly. .

I am thinking that the disconnector may need some fitting. I have also heard that it could caused by the CGW trigger pin. Those pins presumably have some tolerance issues which could account for the intermittentcy  of the problem.

Any idea?

Thanks

Edited by cheby

1 hour ago, mikeinctown said:

Is it posible the set screw moved some on the trigger, not allowing it to move far enough back to release the hammer?

This was my initial thought as well. The screw was not on the way though. Also it would not explain the intermittency. 

I assume that it does not "reset" in SA, or does it? Too little room between the trigger bar and the face of the disconnector not allowing the trigger bar to move far enough forward to engage the sear leg?

13 hours ago, cheby said:

This was my initial thought as well. The screw was not on the way though. Also it would not explain the intermittency. 

Figured I'd ask because the screw on mine was so close at one point it would fire sometimes but not others until I set it for more clearance. The other thing I found that caused me issues was that the the spring under the trigger bar was not set right and riding in the groves in the trigger bar and I needed to lubricate the sear assembly better so the parts had free movement. This was not on a shadow 2 though it was on a gun I just fitted with the CGW Production package which includes the 85 trigger, new disco and their hammer.

2 minutes ago, Tok36 said:

Have you checked the trigger frame hole clearance? What happens when you pull the trigger hard rather than tapping it like in the video?

The clearance is alright. 

I replaced the CGW trigger pin with the CZ pin. The gun is working now. I can sometimes recreate this type of issue if I push the hammer all the way down before decocking it normally. The frustrating part is I can't do it consistently. Most of the times I am able to decock it just fine. 

I am having this issue with a brand new Shadow 2.  I changed the safety to the CZ supplied thumb friendly lever, but have made no other modifications. Doesn't happen often, but it blew an IDPA stage for me yesterday.. Really frustrating..

At 46 ozs. I had to shoot in SPD. That was O.K. with me, I just wanted to try the gun in a match, seems like that is the best place to see what works and what doesn't work.  I haven't had a DA/SA semi-auto since the early 70s when I had a tried a S&W Model 39.  That gun wasn't much fun, this CZ is fun. I like it and will work out the problems or send it to someone that can work them out.

Just so you know- In the 90s, I bought a S&W 39/53. It is a DA only version of the Model 39. Great gun, still got it, still carry it.   If I had been more experienced when I bought the 39, it my have worked out fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading every topic I can find on Shadow 2 disco mods.  Sounds like there was also an issue on a new gun WITHOUT mods? Did you figure it out?

First time I've heard of a Shadow 2 being used in IDPA.  I haven't heard of SPD?

idpa now has a specialty division. so you can use non legal guns at local matches. like carry optics set ups or guns illegal for other reasons, like the shadow 2.

in my experience i didn't get the best out of my hand fit disco in the shadow two until i also changed hammers.

39 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

idpa now has a specialty division. so you can use non legal guns at local matches. like carry optics set ups or guns illegal for other reasons, like the shadow 2.

in my experience i didn't get the best out of my hand fit disco in the shadow two until i also changed hammers.

Thanks for the clarification on IDPA.  What hammer and recoil spring weight did you settle on?

Thanks.  I will spend some time with it before making any decisions (since it just came in) but I've been reading this topic and following with interest.  It's obvious you have put a lot of thought into your mods.