Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115gr precision delta hp col

Bullets

What is everyone loading 115 grain Precision Delta hollow points too for a 2011 open gun? 1.105 seems to be about the longest I can make them and still have them pass case gauge. The chamber accept them longer but not the case gauge.

What is everyone loading 115 grain Precision Delta hollow points too for a 2011 open gun? 1.105 seems to be about the longest I can make them and still have them pass case gauge. The chamber accept them longer but not the case gauge.

You will need to do a plunk test on your barrel to find the max OAL that you can utilize.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, himurax13 said:

You will need to do a plunk test on your barrel to find the max OAL that you can utilize.

2 hours ago, superdude said:

^^ THIS ^^

Your barrel will determine the proper OAL. 

Maybe I worded it wrong but at the end of my post I stated that the chamber accepts them longer then the case gauge. They plunk at a longer oal in the chamber then in the case gauge. Don't feel comfortable not case guaging all of my ammo so that's why I was curious what other people are loading to.

Maybe I worded it wrong but at the end of my post I stated that the chamber accepts them longer then the case gauge. They plunk at a longer oal in the chamber then in the case gauge. Don't feel comfortable not case guaging all of my ammo so that's why I was curious what other people are loading to.

And again, it all depends on the barrel in question...

Buy a different case gauge. Your barrel is the ACTUAL guide and the only thing that truly matters when it comes to how reliable your ammo is. The gauge is just a convenient quasi-accurate substitute for testing ammo since taking your gun apart to chamber-check is annoying.

Load ammo long enough it won't drop into your chamber, then slowly shorten it until it drops into the barrel *and* spins freely.

Shorten that length about .005" as your starting length, and go shoot it over a chrono, and check it for accuracy @ 25yd.

You'll end up with a shockbottle 100rd case gauge eventually. Might as well get it now. It's just plain preposterously convenient compared to doing them one at a time, plus they like long ammo just fine.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You'll end up with a shockbottle 100rd case gauge eventually. Might as well get it now. It's just plain preposterously convenient compared to doing them one at a time, plus they like long ammo just fine.

↑ This

Edited by echotango

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Buy a different case gauge. Your barrel is the ACTUAL guide and the only thing that truly matters when it comes to how reliable your ammo is. The gauge is just a convenient quasi-accurate substitute for testing ammo since taking your gun apart to chamber-check is annoying.

Load ammo long enough it won't drop into your chamber, then slowly shorten it until it drops into the barrel *and* spins freely.

Shorten that length about .005" as your starting length, and go shoot it over a chrono, and check it for accuracy @ 25yd.

I'd hate to buy another gauge. I use the 50 hole egw. The shockbottle that much better? Never had an issue like this until now. I had been using the precision delta round nose ammo for a very long time. Wasn't a problem with them. Wanted to try the hollowpoints though

18 minutes ago, Bullets said:

I'd hate to buy another gauge. I use the 50 hole egw. The shockbottle that much better? Never had an issue like this until now. I had been using the precision delta round nose ammo for a very long time. Wasn't a problem with them. Wanted to try the hollowpoints though

I used to have the 50 Hole EGW in every Caliber. I ended up selling them at half price to get the Hundo Guages since they are a bit closer to the inner dimensions of my barrels. I found the EGW's to be too tight and I noticed that I was over crimping non-FMJ projectiles, especially in 9mm.

The PD's have a pronounced shoulder.  It is what it is.  If you want to load longer have your chamber throated, or load them that short.  I find the max oal and then subtract .015- .020 to allow for oal variance.

21 minutes ago, Bullets said:

People obsess with case gauges. They're handy, but they're not the same as your barrel's chamber. The only other advice is to put the case gauge in the drawer, or use it for a christmas decoration on your christmas tree. :D

The best reloading device for the plunk test is your pistol’s barrel because that’s what you’ll be shooting your ammunition from, not the case gauge.

Plunk test a round in your barrel, then your gauge if it passes both you know that you can now use your gauge instead of barrel.  Better yet get one that does not fit the gauge and see if it fits your barrel.  The EGW gauge is the best gauge, they use clymer reamers that are set to minimum sammi specs to make them.  If they pass in the EGW they will fit your barrel.  I know your barrel is the sure test, but if you know what you can get away with then you can use the gauge.  When I was using my stock glock barrel I could get away with a lot oversized rounds, when I switched to a Barsto I have to use the EGW gauge.  I could no longer get away with the larger tolerance, even rounds that would pass the Hundo would not fit the Barsto.  You have to know what you can get away with.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

... Your barrel is the ACTUAL guide and the only thing that truly matters when it comes to how reliable your ammo is.

This also takes into account the ogive of different bullets. I think.

Edited by wrench459

@Bullets  The cartridge isn't the problem.  Your case gauge is.

There's a small group of reloaders who inspect cases for damage before loading, use quality dies to load ammo, refine their reloading practices, and load finished cartridges into ammo boxes casehead up so that they can inspect for proper primer seating visually.  These people somehow, possibly through magic, or possibly by being detail-oriented reloaders, mange to live free of cartridge dimension related failures to feed, fire, or eject, while at that same time living free of case-gauge headaches and turmoil.  These people also, in general, smell better, live longer, and have more fulfilling sex lives.  

Throw your case gauge in the trash and join us.  It's a happier existence. ;) 

6 hours ago, IDescribe said:

@Bullets  The cartridge isn't the problem.  Your case gauge is.

There's a small group of reloaders who inspect cases for damage before loading, use quality dies to load ammo, refine their reloading practices, and load finished cartridges into ammo boxes casehead up so that they can inspect for proper primer seating visually.  These people somehow, possibly through magic, or possibly by being detail-oriented reloaders, mange to live free of cartridge dimension related failures to feed, fire, or eject, while at that same time living free of case-gauge headaches and turmoil.  These people also, in general, smell better, live longer, and have more fulfilling sex lives.  

Throw your case gauge in the trash and join us.  It's a happier existence. ;) 

I don't even use the ammo boxes unless I am really, really worried about high primers. They go into Dillon ammo bags. OTW, it's a malfunction clearance drill which is always a good exercise to master anyway. I can i.d. problems while reloading, check new loads in the gun chamber, and rarely have a problem when everything is set up and obviously running well. My malfunction rate is waaaaay under 1/1000.

I suspect we're not in the minority.

Running that bullet---115 JHP Precision Delta---at 1.175.  

I set up a dummy round at 1.190, and throat the barrel to take that length.  As others have said,

YOUR barrel will determine if you can load that long.

Gauges just fine in my Dillon gauge.  

On 6/8/2017 at 7:18 PM, superdude said:

People obsess with case gauges. They're handy, but they're not the same as your barrel's chamber. The only other advice is to put the case gauge in the drawer, or use it for a christmas decoration on your christmas tree. :D

The best reloading device for the plunk test is your pistol’s barrel because that’s what you’ll be shooting your ammunition from, not the case gauge.

I disagree. Many of us load ammo for multiple guns. Ammo that might fit in one barrel might not fit in another. Many times over the years the case gauge has found problems I missed. Found many split cases at the case gauge. I started out reloading with your mentality but just caused problem later on. So if I shoot a glock and my ammo fits in the glock chamber it's ok to shoot? Lol

8 minutes ago, Bullets said:

I disagree. Many of us load ammo for multiple guns. Ammo that might fit in one barrel might not fit in another.

That's still true if you use a case gauge, so how is that relevant?  

9 hours ago, Bullets said:

So if I shoot a glock and my ammo fits in the glock chamber it's ok to shoot? Lol

Yes, it's okay to shoot ammo that fits in the Glock, in the Glock.   It does not mean it will fit in another barrel since they might have different dimensions. 

It might also be true that the ammo will fit in the case gauge but not fit in a barrel since they might have different dimensions, too.

9 hours ago, IDescribe said:

That's still true if you use a case gauge, so how is that relevant?  

If you have ammo that fits in the case gauge and not in your barrel than you have an issue. 

18 minutes ago, superdude said:

Yes, it's okay to shoot ammo that fits in the Glock, in the Glock.   It does not mean it will fit in another barrel since they might have different dimensions. 

It might also be true that the ammo will fit in the case gauge but not fit in a barrel since they might have different dimensions, too.

Yes but make sure you inspect it closely. Wouldnt recommend using a glock barrel though.  Chances are a glock barrel won't pick up a split case like a case gauge would. Not that a case gauge would catch it everytime either. 

Okay, Bullet, instead of trying to convince you that your gauge is unnecessary, here's an attempt to help you conceptualize the problem you're having:

Think of a cross-section of a barrel.  From the chamber end, the cut reflects the diameter of the case, plus whatever extra few thousandths to allow the case to pass into the chamber freely and headspace at the casemouth on the chamber's headspacing step.  The inner diameter of the chamber before the headspacing step is about .381. Then, the headspacing step shrinks the inner diameter to around .361, tight enough to serve as a step for the case mouth, but big enough to accomodate whatever diameter bullet you are using.  That .361 section of bore (which we often call the leade, throat, or free-bore) will extend a very short distance and narrow a little itself to the point where the rifling begins, which then shrinks the inner diameter of the bore down to about .354, smaller than the bullet to be used. The length of the leade/throat and the degree to which it narrows is what causes different bullets to have different max OALs in different pistols since THAT is what controls how far away the rifling is from the case mouth when the pistol is fully in battery. 

That's a barrel.  In a case gauge, the gauge needs only to reflect what's going on inside the barrel in terms of inner diameter up to the beginning of the leade/throat.  There is NO REASON for a case gauge to narrow the interior diameter again to reflect the rifling because different pistol manufacturers have leades/throats of different lengths.  Some European manufacturers, like CZ, Tanfoglio, Walther (in some of their pistols), and the Croat manufacturer of the XD are probably the most common seen here in the U.S. who cut "short" throats.  In my experience, a more common "long"  leade/throat length seems to be .03-.05 longer than the short ones, again, in terms of my own experience.  I make no claims to know the specific design specs of various manufacturers.  Then you have some 1911 and 2011 barrels where the leades are extra long for the express purpose of accommodating OALs longer than the SAAMI max OAL of 1.169 for 9mm Luger. 

NOW, if what you have described about your problem is accurate, it suggest that your case gauge has narrowed the bore diameter past the throat/leade to reflect the rifling.  This might cause no problems at all with normal long or short throated 9mm pistols.  But if your 1911 barrel is cut for you to load longer than 1.169, that would mean that your barrel's leade is longer than standard for 9mm, and that MIGHT be the reason your case gauge is stopping that bullet before your barrel is.

I can't be sure that's the case.  I don't use case gauges.  And I don't have access to your case gauge.  I don't have access to your pistol.  I don't have access to your ammo.  So this is just educated speculation, but IF that is what is going on, you will NEVER be able to load that bullet as long as what the pistol will allow and get those same cartridges to pass your case gauge.  Your case gauge would simply be incompatible with that pistol and that bullet in that regard.

Good luck. ;) 

Edited by IDescribe