Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tunnels, low obstacles etc, stage design

21 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

The people with age or wear issues on their body would say 100% of it should be suited towards them, the fitter people with less wear and tear would probably say 5%. Everyone acts in their own self interest.

Not me.  As I said above, I'm perfectly fine shooting matches designed for speedy youngsters.  In fact I shoot one of those every month.  Make it as difficult as you like.  Just don't make me bleed.

We very occasionally throw in a low kneeling position, but always as the last position so people don't have to get back up on the clock.  We haven't had alternate shooting locations specifically, although sometimes targets are visible from much farther back on the stage, and we have made accommodations for shooters who needed something to brace themselves on to get into the kneeling position.  We never setup prone positions, as our bays are mostly caliche, and that stuff does not come out.

I figure there will be various physical obscacles, including low ports where prone is the best idea for many, at nationals and area matches, so by not putting them into locals we are doing our competitive shooters a disservice. We do have some carpet sections that we have available if the shooter chooses.

8 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Remember its a shooting sport not a track and field event

It's allegedly a "practical" shooting sport.

Obstacles and physical challenges are inarguably practical.

1 hour ago, wtturn said:

It's allegedly a "practical" shooting sport.

Obstacles and physical challenges are inarguably practical.

Exactly. The practical roots of shooting are in combat, LE and self defense. These things involve running, ducking, kneeling, climbing over stuff, carrying other stuff, and generally being distracted by a variety of other tasks while you're trying to shoot accurately. 

i think what we want to avoid is making stages where bad shooters who are good athletes will win. I have never seen one of those. Even in outlaw stages where we were running 100+ yards in a stage, the less fit GM's that practice were still beating the A's with a solid track and field background.

58 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i think what we want to avoid is making stages where bad shooters who are good athletes will win.

that's a great way of saying it.  i was never spry or limber but >50 now that def hasn't gotten better.  that said, i still really enjoy the physical aspects of uspsa and 3 gun, and hate stages with little to no movement, but if there's a 100yd dash just for the sake of having a 100yd dash, i'm def at a disadvantage.  but if we have to cover 100 yds, WHILE shooting along the way, i'm okay with that.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

.... He did approve land mines though. Clay pigeons spread around that get you a procedural if you step on one. :)

I shot in the Doc Welt match last weekend and we had "mines".  Started standing on a platform and swung over the minefield on a rope. If you came up short or dropped off of it you got 1 procedural per pigeon broken.  If you didn't want to swing you could run around.

15 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i think what we want to avoid is making stages where bad shooters who are good athletes will win. I have never seen one of those. 

Unfortunately, I do on a fairly routine basis, especially at outlaw matches.  On one recent stage a jackrabbit using the spray and pray approach won the stage even though he had a lot of Ds and 3 misses.  It doesn't bother me, but it does indicate poor stage design.

That being said, sometimes bay area or shape, or lack of club resources limits what can be done and you end up with long simple stages.

Even on good, technical stages with lots of firing ports, etc., speed still counts.  I recently ran a Prod GM on a stage.  While I was calling out the scoring I was amazed that almost everything was an A zone snake eyes.  The only Cs he got were on distant targets.  He still came in second on the stage, because someone else was faster, even thought they scored fewer points.

I'm almost 70 and know my limitations.  I shoot Open because I can no longer see iron sights.  I appreciate good course design.  The very last thing I want to see, other than bleeding knees and elbows, is a stage where I can hose half the course, move two steps and hose the rest.  That is no challenge at all.

Well I made it through those sticks, the ones said to be illegal, without error. They did seem to catch people out, that's for sure. Forward to 1:22 to see the stage in question.