Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the link provided above and went to Alliant's website for loading data in .40. They don't show a min or max. They only show one number. How do you know if that is a starting number with the powder or the max charge?  ???. Seems kind of stupid on their part. I have TiteGroup now but keep looking at cleaner, less hot alternatives like N320 but without the N320 price tag if I can help it. LOL! 

Disregard, they say at the warning page to reduce the numbers by 10% for starting loads and to not exceed the loads listed. I'm just surprised they still didn't put that on each page for safety. 

R1-Demon, that's a fairly well-known practice.  Everyone who starts reloading runs into the same question you did -- "What the heck am I supposed to do with this?!?!?!"    And good for you for sorting it out on your own.  But yeah, if you see load data with just one charge weight.  That's the highest charge weight with which peak pressure didn't exceed SAAMI max standard pressure, and your load window should start 10% below that. ;)

Makes sense when I sit and think about it. They would publish the max load to cover their butts rather than the starting load and let the loaders figure out the max load. ?  But even if I didn't read that, I would have started at 10% under just to cover my own butt. LOL!  And asked here as well to see how others handled it. ?

But thank you for the info and confirmation. ??

Edited by R1_Demon

Have to wonder if this will be a new trend for all of the powder manufacturers with the rise of polymer coated bullets.  Greatly looking forward to anyone with real world test data...especially out of a CZ shadow variant!

On 6/24/2017 at 10:03 AM, Steve RA said:

From the information above it seems to be slower than Australian Clays by about a grain for the 125 Lead  bullet.

Dont forget that it could simply be less dense. You might need more of it for that reason, as opposed to it being an equal-density slower powder.

Only way to really find out will be to shoot some and see how it recoils, or find a burn rate chart from Alliant.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've got so much Prima V/SV & Claydot that I won't need another pistol powder for 5+ years. But if I were in the market for powder, the bulk containers are an attractive price.

I keep checking the local place for this but no luck so far. they have about every other powder out there too. I'm using HP-38 right now but dayum is it sooty. The feed ramp is full of build up after every match. No issues with it (the HP38) other than it is dirty so I'm hoping this will be a lot cleaner.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but Powder Valley had it in stock in 1 and 8lbs. Same price as promo, very nice (still doubt I'll bite as long as Graf's runs the hazmat deal on PV though).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have been testing and shooting SP for a while. It measures great, it is extremely low smoke with coated bullets when other powders are not, It is low report and low flash in the dark. It has proven to be as accurate as e3 and as clean burning. It is the same price right now as Promo. It fills the case nicely and is not temp sensitive. So basically what you get is a temperature stabile, cheap N320. It basically uses the same load data and gives relatively the same velocity. It has proven to be more accurate than 320 in all my guns. Lets hope they don't f**k this one up by changing it in the future like they did for Prima V.

19 minutes ago, bowenbuilt said:

I have been testing and shooting SP for a while. It measures great, it is extremely low smoke with coated bullets when other powders are not, It is low report and low flash in the dark. It has proven to be as accurate as e3 and as clean burning. It is the same price right now as Promo. It fills the case nicely and is not temp sensitive. So basically what you get is a temperature stabile, cheap N320. It basically uses the same load data and gives relatively the same velocity. It has proven to be more accurate than 320 in all my guns. Lets hope they don't f**k this one up by changing it in the future like they did for Prima V.

Did they mess up Prima V?  I know the newer stuff is a tad slower but it works good for me. I'm down to three bottles left.  Gonna be ordering something, not sure what, soon. Maybe ba 9.5. Want soemtning that'll do 9 and .40. 

Edited by B_RAD