Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NROI Range Officer Cert... Are you supposed to study?

taymag

So I do plan on helping out with this certification, but the main reason I am taking it is because my local private range will let you rent private bays if you are an RO (or higher certification).

Turns out there is a $50 class this weekend (that apparently is a rare occasion). While I do shoot USPSA I am fairly new and really only know the basics, I shoot production and know what I can and cannot do, I just go out and have fun.

My question is... do I need to literally know the whole rule book (all divisions and different scenarios) and be familiar with everything? There's no real info on the class other than where and when.

Read it over once or twice and you'll be fine. The class is basically going over the commonly used parts of the rule book. And going over how to run shooters, score targets, basic equipment rules. There is no pre test or anything. 

Even if you never run a stage it will help you have a better understanding of the rules so you don't get burned. I think everyone should take the class. 

21 minutes ago, Nghthwk1911 said:

Are you sure your home range will accept the NROI cert, most want/Need you to be NRA RO/CRO cert.

I asked if the NROI cert will be sufficient and they replied that the USPSA RO Level I course/cert. would be fine. I was going to double check since I don't know if the "NROI" and USPSA cert are the same but I assume they are, I said NROI in my original post to them though

They are the same thing (NROI/USPSA Level 1)

You don't need to know much of anything to successfully complete the course, except how to listen and learn, and then later how to complete an open book test. You'll need to demonstrate range commands and that you can run a shooter once.

You don't need to study. it won't hurt you to browse through the rulebook, but you'll be covering it in class, and you'll have to read through it to pass the open book test.

I also took the class as a new uspsa shooter, and I found it very helpful to me as a competitor.

10 hours ago, wmccurdy said:

The only course scheduled for the Northeast this year is in August at Wappingers Falls, NY.

Yeah, i see that on the USPSA site.    Kinda a haul for me, but i may try.  

On 6/7/2017 at 3:29 PM, taymag said:

So I do plan on helping out with this certification, but the main reason I am taking it is because my local private range will let you rent private bays if you are an RO (or higher certification).

Turns out there is a $50 class this weekend (that apparently is a rare occasion). While I do shoot USPSA I am fairly new and really only know the basics, I shoot production and know what I can and cannot do, I just go out and have fun.

My question is... do I need to literally know the whole rule book (all divisions and different scenarios) and be familiar with everything? There's no real info on the class other than where and when.

Where is the class? In Florida? I may be interested if it's not full...

8 hours ago, WiII said:

Where is the class? In Florida? I may be interested if it's not full...

South Florida (I think it would be considered Sunrise, FL), but down here I just refer to it as west Ft Lauderdale

The purpose of the NROI class is to emphasis safety and ensure that you know how to reference the rule book.  They don't expect anyone to memorize all rules.  There's nothing wrong with quickly referencing the rule book during a match.  It's much better than making an incorrect ruling.

Finished my class yesterday... I would highly suggest taking it, it was pretty fun and I learned things that I doubt I would have learned even years in my club, just cause you don't run across a lot of these things. Never thought i would enjoy a rulebook nerd course lol but I will recommend anytime I get a chance to from this point forward.

15 hours ago, Tampaxd45 said:

The purpose of the NROI class is to emphasis safety and ensure that you know how to reference the rule book.  They don't expect anyone to memorize all rules.  There's nothing wrong with quickly referencing the rule book during a match.  It's much better than making an incorrect ruling.

Wait...no instant replay?  What the heck?  LOL! :roflol:

15 hours ago, taymag said:

Finished my class yesterday... I would highly suggest taking it, it was pretty fun and I learned things that I doubt I would have learned even years in my club, just cause you don't run across a lot of these things. Never thought i would enjoy a rulebook nerd course lol but I will recommend anytime I get a chance to from this point forward.

Glad to hear it.  I'm taking the Level 1 RO course at the end of July. :)  Your post inspired me to look into it.  (thumbs up)  Plus, I figured it wouldn't hurt because I have seen my local club ask for RO help at some of my USPSA events.  ;-) 

R1_Demon ...  Sorry buddy - no instant replay.

Per rules 11.1.3, and 11.1.5, "audio, video, or photographic evidence" is not allowed for appeals or arbitration.  

A couple things for beginners to remember:

1. The rule book is online in PDF form so it's easy to search for words.  (e.g. video)  https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

2. Once you become a RO, you're expected to review the periodic NROI rulings: https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-rulings-listing.php   You will receive them via email.

Booooo!  I'm petitioning for instant replay to be allowed.  LOL!  :P

Good point on the searching of the rule book.  I have read it twice already (the physical book they sent me when I signed up)

I also appreciate the info about the periodic NROI rulings as well.  I shall bookmark that page for future and current reference. :)  Just in case. :) 

23 hours ago, davidb72 said:

You don't have to know the rulebook inside and out, but you do need to know the range commands!

Just "shoot" and "don't shoot at that!" right?  LOL!  (I'm TOTALLY kidding!)  :goof:

• 3 weeks later...