Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine safety rule question

louu

Is there a rule for weird ass pistols that cannot drop the hammer for hammer down holster without a magazine? 

I'm asking because a guy was shooting what I think was a browning high power and the only way he could drop the hammer was to unload a magazine, insert it, and pull the trigger. It just felt weird to me watching him insert a mag to do so.

I recommend to him that it's probably pretty simple to remove that "safety feature" but he seemed like the kind of guy that thinks guns must remain stock.

Edited by louu

It's also in the production Appendix. If it's legal in production it's legal in the other divisions. 

-Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety

"For purposes of this clause, a magazine disconnect is NOT considered a safety mechanism, and may be removed"

However ... There is absolutely, unequivocally, unmistakably NO reason to require him to modify his gun.  It is perfectly safe and TOTALLY acceptable for the shooter to insert an empty magazine into the gun in order to drop the hammer if the design of the gun so requires.

The best practice is for the shooter to carry an empty mag in his pocket for just such a purpose in order to not delay the unloading process.  However, emptying the remaining rounds in his last mag is an acceptable (albeit slower) procedure.