Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 mag over insertion

rowdyb

1. i just switched from the stock looking springer precision basepads to the smaller hennings.

2. this only happens with a slide lock reload.

Doing some "worst case scenario" training today and was doing some slide lock reloads. Consistently when the slide locks back on an empty mag, i drop it and as I go to insert the new one, I can insert it far enough the slide release lever will not work. I have to pull the magazine out a bit, to where I can feel it click into the catch and see the catch move. Then I can drop the slide as one should with the release.

I really like these pads, but if they allow me to over insert the magazine with even a moderate amount of oomph I'll have to stop using them. Is there anything to tune or adjust in the gun to prevent the over insertion of magazines?

Edited by rowdyb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ I like the O-ring idea. Rather than an actual ring you may be able to get some thick rubber sheet and cut a rectangular spacer out of it that you could slide down the mag body into place. It crossed my mind that widening the mag catch hole in the magazine a bit could make it less likely for the mag catch to fail to pop into the hole. It depends on what is happening exactly to make it fail to do so in the first place.

I would try tweaking the spring first like you mentioned. I am also interested to hear other forum members input on the issue.

i just went back to my old basepads. i know i should never be doing a slide lock reload in uspsa but if it did happen i'd be screwed. and i share magazines with my idpa gun so there ya go.... anyone want to buy 10 hennings basepads for cz mecgar mags, used once?

50 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Huh, interesting. I will have to test this out. Have you contacted CZ about it yet?

Its a baseePad Issue. Not fitted proper for that tube length.

2 minutes ago, eerw said:

Its a baseePad Issue. Not fitted proper for that tube length.

correct. the base pads are the same diameter of the tube. they do not contact the pistols frame or magwell opening in any way. so no "bump stop" for lack of a better term to keep me from over inserting them.

speed reloads? good all day, no worries. slide lock reloads? not working for  little ol' me. back to different base pads and the hennings are on sale in the classifieds.

So, which basepads will work for the Shadow 2 and 17 round MG mag combo and still fit in the box?  I thought I read that the Springer pads were too deep?

MecGar 17s and Springer pads fit the box with Shadow 2 no problem. I confirmed with the box last week.

Shockbottle and CZC are the best bet for a thinner than Springer 17rnd mcgr mag in a Shadow 2 and that have the right shape to prevent over insertion.

My issue is  I share mags between my Shadow 2 for uspsa and my regular SP01 Shadow for idpa. Should I ever mess up in uspsa and do a slide lock reload with those mag/basepad combo I'd be screwed.

Yeah a slide lock reload should rarely or never happen in uspsa, but it has, and i'm not willing to bet on the margins.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top to comment on Rowdy's last post.  I was attending my first USPSA major this past weekend so I changed from my usual IPSC setup with Mec-Gar +2's to the Shockbottle extended base pads so I would be legal.  Unfortunately 3 terrible jams later while on the clock I finally realized the Shockbottle pads were allowing me to over insert the mag on slide lock reloads and jam the gun up tight.  I asked Matt Hopkins who happened to be at the match what he uses and he also uses the Shockbottle pads and said he's never experienced this, I'm guessing he doesn't go to slide lock often or try to ram the mag home to auto forward the slide when he does.

Too much gap with shock bottle and afc mags. Hard insertion to get the slide to fall off slide lock is recipe to jam the mag past the mag release. 

Auto forward (or whatever they call that) is not a feature.

get a magazine / basepad combination that stops mag on bottom of frame. 

8 minutes ago, eerw said:

Too much gap with shock bottle and afc mags. Hard insertion to get the slide to fall off slide lock is recipe to jam the mag past the mag release. 

Auto forward (or whatever they call that) is not a feature.

get a magazine / basepad combination that stops mag on bottom of frame. 

I realize it's not a feature but it's sure a nice happening when my poor shooting leads to an unplanned slidelock situation.  I didn't think I noticeably reloaded any harder on a slidelock but it is possible that I do.

I definitely plan to get the correct combo, just want to make sure I am finally getting them as I thought the Shockbottle ones were going to be it and now they will be sold with one match of usage.  Near as I can tell the Springers are good to go, need to confirm the CZC will be fine with Mec-Gar 10/17 round mags.

well i've run the czc pads on the mecgar 17 round mags for a few matches. perfection!

easy to grip in the pouch for reload.

resistant to dings and scratches.

fit perfectly.

definitely the right height to prevent over insertion!!

thinner than some others, giving me room in the box for idpa and easily in uspsa. (their boxes are just slightly different in size.)

there was nothing wrong with the springers, i just wanted a little more leeway in the box. that's all.

Edited by rowdyb

I realize it's not a feature but it's sure a nice happening when my poor shooting leads to an unplanned slidelock situation.  I didn't think I noticeably reloaded any harder on a slidelock but it is possible that I do.

I definitely plan to get the correct combo, just want to make sure I am finally getting them as I thought the Shockbottle ones were going to be it and now they will be sold with one match of usage.  Near as I can tell the Springers are good to go, need to confirm the CZC will be fine with Mec-Gar 10/17 round mags.

Springer pads just make it. d50aef8d421278cd2ea19cc41dc78def.jpg

I also experienced this problem twice [on one stage during a match] with my Mac-gar AFC mags with shock bottle base pads. I had to grab the slide and sling-shot it as the slide stop wouldn't budge. 

The stage was some kind of steel 3-gun stage repurposed for USPSA and my stage plans dictated I shoot the gun dry and then move. Otherwise I would have to go 1-for-1 on the center position.