Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Viper vs Venom 6 MOA

recoilchamp

I got both the Vortex Viper and Venom 6 MOA to compare. I liked the Viper on my M&P, but found that I could clearly see a flicker in it when moving it around and it wasn't at full brightness. Even got a second one to confirm that all Vipers had the same issue. Whether it mattered enough when shooting I'm not sure, might even have helped in drawing the eye to it.

It bothered me enough that I wanted to see what the Venom 6 MOA would be like when it was released. Venom has a little bit taller base. Battery port is on top, which is nice since you don't have to take it off its mount to replace it. Buttons are also a little smaller, which I like. No locking screws like the Viper, which might be better since they won't get blocked on guns with iron sights in the way. The red dot doesn't have the flicker issue, but is more orange, similar to the Burris Fastfire 3. In fact since they're both made in the Philippines I'd bet it's coming from the same source. I might prefer how red the dot is on the Viper, though, feels like it draws the eye more. 

I thought the window on the Venom was wider because it extends out past the base, but it's about equivalent with the Viper. Height-wise the window might actually be a little shorter.

Anyone else compare the two?

I haven't messed with any of votex red dots but I have used their viper PST rifle series and has nothing but problems , they supposedly sent me 3 new scopes .. each had their own problem. They ended up just sending me a check and buying my out basically .. it would be VERY hard to trust something so small from them with that many electronics..  with all that said I use their strike eagle in 3 gun because it won't break my heart if I break it.   As far as your lends size I actually have a Burris FF2 on an open gun and the glass is TINY compared to similar other optics (RTS-2)  So if the size is close to a FF-2/3  I would opt for a different optic with a larger window.. 

I had a Vortex Viper 6 MOA red dot on my carry optic M&P and had the same flicker issue which I could stand if I turn it down. What made me return it was the glare I had when the light hits it just right during bright sunny day. During one of my practice session, I could not even see the red dot when it was in the direction of the sun. Returned it for a Burris Fastfire 3 which did not have that issue but had that orange looking dot and not as bright as the vortex. Any other users having that issue?