Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC as limited gun for Multi-gun?

Anyone else using their PCC as a limited gun instead of 223 for MG matches? For local matches where we don't extend past 50 yards, I'm finding it works well and the ammo is a lot cheaper to shoot. Of course once you extend past 50 yards you'd want something faster, but even at the last rifle match there was someone shooting their PCC at 200 yards. Said they had to aim about a foot high, though.

Our club made us shoot the rifle targets out to 200 for the PCC class at our shoot this weekend. It was f'ing stupid but not impossible. We had to double tap 1 target at 50 yards 4 at 100 yards, 2 at 150 yards, and 1 at 200 yards. My 8moa C-more was sighted for 18 yards with lead ammo that doesn't group well past 40yd since its is already melting as it leaves the comp, so I borrowed some 115 FMJs. I was able to shoot it in 41 seconds standing with Kentucky windage, and took the misses on the 200yd target since my first 3 shots were about a 6 foot spread. Not great, but it was only 10 seconds off the top 3gun time shot with .223 and a 1-6x scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also shoot a 9mm PCC in Limited also, I am running iron sights. At 100 yards it might take me a couple or three on a micro popper but it works well enough. My club makes no special provision for PCC, we shoot everything 'real' rifles do. Longest distance at my club is 200 yards, the hold is about 10" high at that distance, I am zeroed at 25ish/100. I shoot the NATO spec 124 gr round, either MEN or Winchester, most reliable round in my gun.

Lot cheaper than shooting 5.56, I can practice more and make a couple more matches a season because of that. I don't even have a 5.56 gun right now, maybe I can build one if I stop burning my cash on ammo for the PCC...

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

Our club made us shoot the rifle targets out to 200 for the PCC class at our shoot this weekend. It was f'ing stupid but not impossible. 

I'm still trying to develop a PCC load that will group acceptably at 100 yards and it ain't going well.

I don't have a big  enough target to even try shooting it at 200 yards.  :unsure:

Bill

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I'm still trying to develop a PCC load that will group acceptably at 100 yards and it ain't going well.

I don't have a big  enough target to even try shooting it at 200 yards.  :unsure:

Bill

I  am in the same boat. I need to figure out a load that shoots better past 25 yds

1 hour ago, TXMXRACER said:

I  am in the same boat. I need to figure out a load that shoots better past 25 yds

Time to try something different.  My best 5 shot group at 100 yards is about 6" with at least one flyer out at 10" to 12".  Also, the group moves.   Sighted in at 100 yards, I can run one group that will be centered on the target.  Several minutes later, the next group will move several inches up or down, sometimes a bit to the right.  That's my best after trying several different bullet/powder combinations.  

From my understanding, the folks getting good accuracy at longer ranges are running jacketed bullets at 140 to 145 PF loaded a lot longer than my barrels will accept.  The MG 124 gr JHP bullets have always been my most accurate in several open guns so I feel they should do well in PCC too.

I've ordered a 16" stainless steel barrel (should be able to throat ream) to replace 16" nitrided barrel (not so easy to ream) and see if that helps.

Bill

I mounted a Vortex Viper PST 1 x 4 on my PCC  and I'm able to dial up drops using the APPLIED BALLISTICS app on my phone.  I'm using a BC  G1 .145 and a velocity of 1225 fps.   I've been able to get 6" groups @ 200 yards and hits on steel out to 465 yards  (24" round).   I have steel  (12 inch square)  at 50 yard increments out to 460 yards and can reliably dial in hits out to 300.

My load is:

124 Hornady HAP TC

5.5 IMR 4756

win SR primer

OAL  1.31  (correction  -  1.087")

mixed cases

loaded on a Dillon 650.

I have used other bullets but do not get the reliable accuracy out to 200 yards that I get with the HAP's

I bought 1K RMR 124 gr. FMJ and they great out to 100 with 2" groups easy but I can't get consistency @200 with them.

I've tried a LOT of plated bullets and they do great on my steel challenge range but they are worse than useless past 50 yards.   I call them "LIGHTNING BULLETS"  (they never hit the same place twice)

My barrel won't do coated bullets because of throat problems.  I found this out after buying 3000 

BTW - That Vortex scope does great on close and fast courses too.   It's the same scope I have on a couple other AR's I use for 2 gun and field rifle courses so the familiarity is there.  The scope is set for a 50 yard zero but I can dial in ANY zero depending on the situation.   If I want a 15 yard zero I dial the scope up to 2.6 mils.  The phone app is spot on.   200 yards is 5.7 mils,  300 is 11.6 mils, 460 is 23.3 mils

These results are not a "one off" but an average over several thousand rounds.   I'm fortunate enough to have a range on my homestead connected to my reloading room, retired and a LOT of steel set up.   Several times a day I can hose the close targets and keep going out a far as I can.

Needless to say I'm living for the day our MD gets squirrely and sets up something at 100 yards.

Edited by vinconco
I mounted a Vortex Viper PST 1 x 4 on my PCC  and I'm able to dial up drops using the APPLIED BALLISTICS app on my phone.  I'm using a BC  G1 .145 and a velocity of 1225 fps.   I've been able to get 6" groups @ 200 yards and hits on steel out to 465 yards  (24" round).   I have steel  (12 inch square)  at 50 yard increments out to 460 yards and can reliably dial in hits out to 300.

My load is:
124 Hornady HAP TC
5.5 IMR 4756
win SR primer
OAL  1.31
mixed cases
loaded on a Dillon 650.

I have used other bullets but do not get the reliable accuracy out to 200 yards that I get with the HAP's
I bought 1K RMR 124 gr. FMJ and they great out to 100 with 2" groups easy but I can't get consistency @200 with them.
I've tried a LOT of plated bullets and they do great on my steel challenge range but they are worse than useless past 50 yards.   I call them "LIGHTNING BULLETS"  (they never hit the same place twice)
My barrel won't do coated bullets because of throat problems.  I found this out after buying 3000 

BTW - That Vortex scope does great on close and fast courses too.   It's the same scope I have on a couple other AR's I use for 2 gun and field rifle courses so the familiarity is there.  The scope is set for a 50 yard zero but I can dial in ANY zero depending on the situation.   If I want a 15 yard zero I dial the scope up to 2.6 mils.  The phone app is spot on.   200 yards is 5.7 mils,  300 is 11.6 mils, 460 is 23.3 mils

These results are not a "one off" but an average over several thousand rounds.   I'm fortunate enough to have a range on my homestead connected to my reloading room, retired and a LOT of steel set up.   Several times a day I can hose the close targets and keep going out a far as I can.

Needless to say I'm living for the day our MD gets squirrely and sets up something at 100 yards.

1.31? How do they fit in the magazine? I have some loaded to 1.16 and the noses sometimes drag when I unload them manually. I'm guessing they would get stuck in my Glock mags.

8 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

1.31? How do they fit in the magazine? I have some loaded to 1.16 and the noses sometimes drag when I unload them manually. I'm guessing they would get stuck in my Glock mags.

Your right..... !    I checked and it's 1.087" for the HAPS.    

Just now, 1911luvr said:

Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking you transposed the 3 and 1, and meant 1.13 oal.

I've been playing around with a lot of bullets and just had the barrel chamber cut so I've got a lot of figures floating around in my head.  

I forgot to mention that the barrel is a New Frontier match 16".   The chamber was so tight it wouldn't chamber factory 115 gr so I sent it back and they recut it.  Still doesn't meet SAAMI Specs but it's close enough.

My ATI (NFA made OEM lower and probably barrel too) had the same problem with factory 115 sometimes, and more often with 124 or more. I had to use a chamber reamer too. My newer barrel is a Wilson Arms and eats anything I load.

9 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

My ATI (NFA made OEM lower and probably barrel too) had the same problem with factory 115 sometimes, and more often with 124 or more. I had to use a chamber reamer too. My newer barrel is a Wilson Arms and eats anything I load.

Will it work with coated bullets?