Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 Odd Issue

jrbet83

When the shells released from the tube, it's going back, bouncing off the plastic that's part of the trigger assembly. It's then bouncing forward tell it hits the part of the shell catch that actually catches the shell (pretty much the front on the shell is almost touching the follower). Odd part, Remington sts and high brass don't do it, Win AA don't do it too bad, Federals do it the worst as described above. Obviously this is just in manually shell releasing/cycling. But with the shell being so far forward and the added leverage, it will lock the bolt back tell you give the follower a little push vs the STS (that's always all the way back, shell touching plastic stop on the trigger assembly) you can ride the bolt home (trying to get it to lock back and you can't do it, works everytime).

Gun has brand new shell catch spring and tube spring. 

On 2017-6-6 at 5:59 AM, jrbet83 said:

it will lock the bolt back tell you give the follower a little push

I've heard people say that is indicative of a new lifter spring being required. Hope that helps.

Edited by SteveA

Thanks. I was more referring to the shell bouncing forward so far. Under recoil the gun runs fine, just worried it may be a precursor to a future problem. Or it's completely normal. Just odd that some shells do it and some don't. 

Reading, it's tough for you old guys I know. Have you tried cheaters, heard they help. "just worried it may be a precursor to a future problem"

I'd rather figure out it's a non issue or get ahead of a possible issue before it shows it's head, not after. 

I will say through tinkering, in case others have this problem, I added a smaller interior spring to my shell catch (kind of like the versamax). Solved problem. Thinking maybe my new shell catch spring is a little soft (hopefully just got a bad one). It's a fine line though, too much spring pressure pinches shell against frame too much and causes a different problem. 

Oh, I get it....old guys.......who know nothing about Benellies! Please let us know about how to fix this "problem" with your vast knowledge on this platform.....but remember to use large font so all us old guys can read it. BTW you are going about your "fix" in the wrong way, but you will figure out why after a while. I do so love when folks try to re invent stuff!

Many times the reason there are no replies is NOT because it is such a "great question", it is because folks don't feel like taking the time to tell you the basics of how your gun works for the 150th time. I will leave this tiny tidbit here, as I now know I am engaged with a "Benelli expert", what you are assuming happens during a "static" event isn't even close to what happens under recoil. Further more, all the guys who build on Versa Max shotguns take that little inner spring out and throw it across the shop.....hmm! Guess they don't know nuffin either.?

Edited by kurtm

:bow: there you go Kurt......that's what you wanted right? Another replay from Kurt where you try and make the OP look stupid but don't actually give any useful information. Kind of your MO these days. But yes you're right, I'm a benelli expert, that's why I got on a public forum and asked for people's opinion and advice. Enjoy being up on that pedestal. 

But you're right, the issue is probably a non issue, being that I'm "assuming" under recoil, the shells in the tube float for just a split second, giving the shell catch a little head start. Plus with the rearward movement of the gun, the bouncing effect is softened. But that's just a guess. Just odd that different shells act so differently. And that my two stock benellis with stiffer springs don't do it at all. 

Useful information?? Like since 2003??? Not my fault you can't "search" or "comprehend"! All I said was it runs fine and you can't understand why you don't get an answer, then you were all reader and old guy. What makes you think people "owe" you an answer? Here is one now....since your two stock Benelli,s don't do this, shoot a stock Benelli. See? Problem solved!!! It is always best to relearn,  that way you can figure out what folks already knew with only a 15 year lag. Get er done!

By the way.....(thought I better spell that out for you), your "idea" of what happens under recoil is way off base, but after acting like a stiff member, you probably won't get much else help. 

14 hours ago, kurtm said:

Useful information?? Like since 2003??? Not my fault you can't "search" or "comprehend"! All I said was it runs fine and you can't understand why you don't get an answer, then you were all reader and old guy. What makes you think people "owe" you an answer? Here is one now....since your two stock Benelli,s don't do this, shoot a stock Benelli. See? Problem solved!!! It is always best to relearn,  that way you can figure out what folks already knew with only a 15 year lag. Get er done!

By the way.....(thought I better spell that out for you), your "idea" of what happens under recoil is way off base, but after acting like a stiff member, you probably won't get much else help. 

"Stiff member"!!?