Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left handers trouble

Mulkey

Do any other left handed shooters have a problem with the safety on there 2011. I have had two new ones put in my limcat and they only last a few matches then I get trigger freeze. If a righty shoots the gun it runs fine. 

I have the grip safety disabled. It's the thumb safety. If I lighten up my grip it shoots fine but when I'm in a match I squeeze the hell out of it. I have had several right handers shoot it and it's fine. 

When you say trigger freeze, I think pilot problem...

When this condition happens, are you able to remedy the situation?  Or is the gun out of service until you disassemble it?

2 hours ago, Mulkey said:

I ride the safety and if I loosen up my grip the gun will fire.  The gun smith I use said that I am twisting the rod on the inside of the safety 

I am confused about one thing. What does how hard you are holding the gun have anything to do with riding the safety? I grip pretty tight (well, I try ;) ) and push the web of my hand into the gun, however my thumb is INDEPENDENT of my grip in the sense that it just rests on the safety. No pressure is exerted on the safety itself. 

Just now, tanks said:

I am confused about one thing. What does how hard you are holding the gun have anything to do with riding the safety? I grip pretty tight (well, I try ;) ) and push the web of my hand into the gun, however my thumb is INDEPENDENT of my grip in the sense that it just rests on the safety. No pressure is exerted on the safety itself. 

And down pressure on the safety can't "turn it back on"

I believe EGW is the most stable thumb safety.

I would check if you knuckling the left side safety up as stated above.

that should cause a fairly good DING in the stop of it where the slide hits it in the notch

probably wouldn't stop the slide but you should feel the clunk when it happens

Fellow leftie here and I have no problems with the 2011 safety; I ride the safety as normal.

The only time I've had a problem with the safety is when I botch a reload and got startled. My thumb migrated under the safety and inadvertently flick it to safe. From your description, that the only thing I could think of the safety making the trigger 'freeze'.

4 hours ago, Mhall said:

And down pressure on the safety can't "turn it back on"

I'm not turning it back on. My thumb is staying in top of the safety and I think I am pushing on it so hard it is bending on the inside. I have had other experiences shooters watch me and they can't see what is causing the problem. My thumb is holding the safety down and I can't pull the trigger. If I take my thumb off the safety or just relax my grip it goes bang. I am the only one that can make the gun do it. I have switched guns with  another shooter and she ran it a the rest of the match with no problems. I used her sti edge and didn't have any trouble. 

2 hours ago, Mulkey said:

I'm not turning it back on. My thumb is staying in top of the safety and I think I am pushing on it so hard it is bending on the inside. I have had other experiences shooters watch me and they can't see what is causing the problem. My thumb is holding the safety down and I can't pull the trigger. If I take my thumb off the safety or just relax my grip it goes bang. I am the only one that can make the gun do it. I have switched guns with  another shooter and she ran it a the rest of the match with no problems. I used her sti edge and didn't have any trouble. 

Pushing down on the right side lever still can't make the safety come back on, or freeze the trigger, or whatever term you want to use.  

The bending you speak about is a torque to the tenon.  In an extreme case (like your knuckle pushing up on the left side lever for too long) you would not be able to disengage the safety with the right side lever.  I. This case, I don't think the safety is "damaged" to the point you need to replace it.  I'd suspect it is a the way you grip causing the knuckle pushing up on the left side lever. 

I think you are barking up the wrong tree by replacing safety after safety.  

13 hours ago, Mhall said:

Pushing down on the right side lever still can't make the safety come back on, or freeze the trigger, or whatever term you want to use.  

The bending you speak about is a torque to the tenon.  In an extreme case (like your knuckle pushing up on the left side lever for too long) you would not be able to disengage the safety with the right side lever.  I. This case, I don't think the safety is "damaged" to the point you need to replace it.  I'd suspect it is a the way you grip causing the knuckle pushing up on the left side lever. 

I think you are barking up the wrong tree by replacing safety after safety.  

I shot my sig last night at our league match but afterwards I pulled out my 2011 and one of the other guys was looking at it. I was showing him that when I would try to shoot it the trigger wouldn't move. He reached up and bumped the mag and the gun fired. We did it several times. I would try to shoot and he wiggled the mag and the gun fired.  We kind if thought it might be the trigger binding. Does anyone have any ideas?

i had another stock trigger that came with the grip that is on the gun so I put it back in. I backed the screw off quite a bit. Dry fire it seems to be working. The trigger that came in the gun had been cut down quite a bit and the new one is stock. I'm going to shoot it today and see how it works. 

8 hours ago, Mulkey said:

I shot my sig last night at our league match but afterwards I pulled out my 2011 and one of the other guys was looking at it. I was showing him that when I would try to shoot it the trigger wouldn't move. He reached up and bumped the mag and the gun fired. We did it several times. I would try to shoot and he wiggled the mag and the gun fired.  We kind if thought it might be the trigger binding. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm going with the overtravel screw too. 

As a lefty, they only issue I've ever had is the ambi side working loose.   But the pistol still runs perfectly.  In fact, just about every Bambi safety I've used, (other than SV) have worked loose.   

It's certainly possible that you're gripping so hard that you've caused the trigger freeze all by yourself.  I'm say, most of us have experience trigger freeze and it had nothing to do with a mechanical issue with the pistol.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2017 at 1:04 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Good idea on the overtravel screw. Take it out entirely until the gun is running flawlessly: it's worth knowing for certain that it isn't a problem.

I wouldn't recommend that in a 2011. in a tanfoflio/cz sure, but in a 2011 if you remove the overtravel stop you may get too much travel. it can cause issues if the trigger bow is hitting the grip safety, over working the leaf spring etc. just wind it out a bit to ensure there is sufficient travel past the break.