Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi 1 piece guide rod

Kepo

Hey guys, 

I just changed out the recoil master for a svi guiderod in my new edge and noticed that the diameter is smaller. Is this normal? Will it cause any issues with the gun? The recoil spring fit on the guiderod fine but I can see a halo on one side of the guiderod when looking at the reverse plug when it's installed.

Thanks

On 6/6/2017 at 7:48 AM, zzt said:

I'm surprised you got it to work at all in an STI.

Well found out today it doesn't. For some reason the slide is short stroking and jamming in the rear position. I'm guessing from all the play between the rod and plug that the rod is cocking and binding. We will see when I get the new plug. Why does everything have to be so difficult. Lol

On left

Dawson tool less: head max width .648"

Rod diameter .325"

On right

Inxfinity S/S: head max width .648"

Rod diameter  .317"

I have always had Infinity giude rods in my STI Aperios when I had them.  No issue.

Resized_20170610_173024.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Fowlmouths said:

On left

Dawson tool less: head max width .648"

Rod diameter .325"

On right

Inxfinity S/S: head max width .648"

Rod diameter  .317"

I have always had Infinity giude rods in my STI Aperios when I had them.  No issue.

Resized_20170610_173024.jpeg

Thanks man this is very helpful!

That SVI rod looks like the head was slimmed down.  It looks like the modified SVI in my Gans Custom.  I bought a new one and the head was much larger than shown.  It would not work at all in the STIs and dragged in the JEM frame.

Well I found out last night it's definitely from the guiderod to reverse plug clearance. I could see and feel a score mark in the top half of the guide rod where it was jamming. I cleaned that up and took some off the rod head too. Waiting for my svi reverse plug.

13 hours ago, zzt said:

That SVI rod looks like the head was slimmed down.  It looks like the modified SVI in my Gans Custom.  I bought a new one and the head was much larger than shown.  It would not work at all in the STIs and dragged in the JEM frame.

SVI guiderod has not been modified. I have 4 and they are all the same.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, zzt said:

SVI's heads are huge. STI use a smaller than 'standard' head on the plug.  However, the size on the Dawson toolless guide rod also works.

Well sv 's are a lot bigger than the head of the recoil master. I removed a decent amount from the bottom portion of the head and also the raised circular part in the rear. Works like a charm now. It must have been such a tight fit that it would not let the guiderod float at all and cursed it to bind on the reverse plug. Hope this will help someone out one day.

34 minutes ago, kk4364 said:

Any pics from after you removed material? Thanks, Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No sorry, it would be hard to tell a difference I don't have one to compare it to, but I just took the gun apart and looked at it. You basically want the head to be the same size as a Wilson shock buff no larger. Also the back circular portion that protrudes into the frame that has the slot for the barrel link needs made a smaller diameter too. On my gun it had no clearance there and I could hear it snap into the frame on assembly.