Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting too many matches?

B_RAD

Quick background. I've shot about 10 or so monthly matches. I'm a M in Production but I think I'm more of an A class. I didn't grand bag, I just stepped up and shot a couple of classifers pretty well and got an initial M classification (85.1%).  My current average is right at 80%. I usually end up 1st in Production at my local club and 1st or 2nd at another club I shoot at. I can shoot very well but I like to go fast. Ususally too fast! I currently struggle with finding the right speed. Really it's my "auto pilot" kicks in at hyper speed. When I get it wrong and go pretty much 100%, the disaster factor is higher. I realize this is not uncommon. In my mind, I need to work on stage exacution the most. Since I go too fast, I usually screw up on executing my stage plan. Miss a planned mag change on the move and then have to do a standing reload. I realize these mistakes as soon as I make them so I guess that's good. 

Anyways, my question is, how much match shooting is enough?  I can pretty much shoot a match every weekend and actually shoot 6+ matches per month if I shoot local IDPA matches too. 

I'm realizing that matches aren't practice. They're a test. So, I'm currently thinking of only shooting 1 USPSA match (maybe 1 IDPA also) and practicing skills and drills with live fire on the weekends  I'm currently shooting locals. I'm gonna also get more disciplined with the dry fire and do it 5-6 days a week.  

I believe that a good 2-3 hrs of live fire practice is more benifical for skill building than shooting a 5-6 stage local. I'm guessing most will agree. 

But is 1 local enough?  I'm sure I'm not alone in that I want to shoot every match I can but I'm thinking thats not the best plan. 

Thoughts......

Edited by B_RAD

Shoot as many matches as you can.  Most local matches have different stages presenting different challenges. I use local matches to push myself to go faster, evaluate where could I have saved a step, did I optimize the stage?  etc....

if you can't practice during the week shoot less matches. if you can practice during the week, shoot as much as you want on the weekends.

bbbbuuuttttt, stop being a spaz in your local matches. make your local matches entirely about executing 100% error free. zero tolerance for any screw up at all.

Think of it like exams at school.

Practice (Live fire or dry fire) is like studying.

Matches are like the exam.

Think you'll get better faster by taking "sample" exams all the time? Or by studying more often and then taking the exam?

Are the locals helping more or hurting you more? Honestly self assess what you're getting out of them and if what you put into them helps move you closer to whatever goal you have.

If they and you do, keep them. If they and you don't, don't.

I don't think they're hurting. 

I realized a couple things after starting this thread. 

1. Due to a couple of personnel/family emergencies that seemed to dump on me in about a 3 day period, I've been stressed out and haven't practiced like I should have been. So, that's not helping. 

2. I've been switching guns WAY TOO MUCH lately! I've literally switched from CZ to Glock back to CZ back to glock in the last 2 months. And almost went back to Tanfo in the last week too. That's just dumb on my part. 

3. I need to quit RO'ing!  Which probably will piss some people off. I understand why but I'm not showing up to go bang and chew the fat. I'm there to execute and I really need to be going thru the stage in my head as much as possible until it's my turn to shoot. That may mean I don't shoot at my club as much but instead shoot at other clubs? How do you tell people that you don't want to help? That you only want to show up and shoot. (I help break down).

To #3.... I just told the guys on my squad yesterday in a firm and maybe not so nice manner. "I'll run the score pad for about half the match and until I'm in the hole, but not all f'n day".

RE: #3, at my local club, guys are pretty sensitive to the fact that this is a chore. Every 7-10 shooters you RO, usually someone else is offering to switch with you. For some reason, it's the tablet guy who gets screwed. Usually you have to just hand the tablet to someone like it's hot potato.

To your original Q, that seems like a lot of matches to me. In agreement that if you can still practice and shoot that many matches, then it's fine. But if you are sacrificing practice time then not fine. Depends on what you're after.

Shoot all the (USPSA) matches you can. The experience is valuable. Ditch idpa.

This assumes a rigorous live and dry training regimen.

I think two locals a month is a good balance.

#1. the practice you do this week will pay off in 6 months, not this weekend. think of the long game and missing 3 days isn't that big of a deal. perspective. have the confidence in yourself and your abilities so that the months/years of work you've already done count more than what you did in the past few days or weeks.

#2. stick with one gun. you know it already.

#3. use this to your advantage. just like shooting in hot weather, or dry firing after a long day at work. this often happens when you're one of the better shooters at your local club and are at all the matches. you "get" to run a squad. this is where you get to work on your mental game. your ability to quickly focus to "ON!". so the next major you're at and you don't get a goo walk through, or the dude in front of you get's a reshoot and you have to step up quicker than you expected. there is an ebb and flow to a match and to the level of attention you are at. work your mental end of it while you're being the timer tri pod.

Edited by rowdyb

13 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

#1. the practice you do this week will pay off in 6 months, not this weekend. think of the long game and missing 3 days isn't that big of a deal. perspective. have the confidence in yourself and your abilities so that the months/years of work you've already done count more than what you did in the past few days or weeks.

#2. stick with one gun. you know it already.

#3. use this to your advantage. just like shooting in hot weather, or dry firing after a long day at work. this often happens when you're one of the better shooters at your local club and are at all the matches. you "get" to run a squad. this is where you get to work on your mental game. your ability to quickly focus to "ON!". so the next major you're at and you don't get a goo walk through, or the dude in front of you get's a reshoot and you have to step up quicker than you expected. there is an ebb and flow to a match and to the level of attention you are at. work your mental end of it while you're being the timer tri pod.

Very good points. 

Others have made good points too. 

Edited by B_RAD

Many, many years ago, I shot a match every Saturday and Sunday for 3 years straight, didn't seem like too much back then, but I like to take at least 2 days off a month now, so only 6 matches for me. Someone told me there is a 12 step program for treatment, but I'm not interested....

Edited by 9x45

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

... work your mental end of it while you're being the timer tri pod.

I'm hoping you mean this tounge-in-cheek.  This is the absolute worst possible approach and attitude to have while working as an RO.

The shooter you are running deserves better than this.  The results for everyone in the match deserve better than this.  Safety DEMANDS better than this!

I hate to come off this strongly, but if you are a currently certified RO, and this actually IS your belief, TURN IN YOUR CREDENTIALS!  

Please tell me this isn't the case ...

57 minutes ago, amokscience said:

A simple way around #3 is to go first every stage.

I've actually thought about doing that. It gets you used to shooting with minimal walk thru like Rowdy was saying. I may end up doing this. I don't want to be the guy whondoesnt want to help out the local club. It takes a lot to put on even small locals. 

Edited by B_RAD

I'm gonna 

1. Get serious about DF practice and include "walk thrus" in my dry fire. 

2. I'm selling my last CZ so I don't have anymore temptation. Gonna stick with Glock for the rest of the year. Thats gonna help. 

3. Gonna try going 1,2,3 each stage to allow for me to focus on stage planning and then help run squad. 

4. Gonna increase live fire practice and shoot 2 USPSA and 1 IDPA per month. At least for this year. 

7 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I'm hoping you mean this tounge-in-cheek.  This is the absolute worst possible approach and attitude to have while working as an RO.

The shooter you are running deserves better than this.  The results for everyone in the match deserve better than this.  Safety DEMANDS better than this!

I hate to come off this strongly, but if you are a currently certified RO, and this actually IS your belief, TURN IN YOUR CREDENTIALS!  

Please tell me this isn't the case ...

I dont read it as not focusing while being an RO, i think the point he was making was that you need mental agility to be all in while you RO then immediately switch gears and be all in as a shooter when you are up.  You dont always have the luxury of the perfect walk through and being able to step aside and prep while on deck, and have to be able to navigate any situation.

53 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Glad you're sticking with Glocks for the rest of the year. In a way, the lack of available Tanfo Limited Pro's was a good thing for you.

Yup. 

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

I dont read it as not focusing while being an RO, i think the point he was making was that you need mental agility to be all in while you RO then immediately switch gears and be all in as a shooter when you are up.  You dont always have the luxury of the perfect walk through and being able to step aside and prep while on deck, and have to be able to navigate any situation.

That's exactly how I meant it. And no, I am not a certified RO or SO in either sport. It is very tough to be a RO and shoot well. That's the reason I don't do it.

The tri-pod comment was tongue in cheek for sure.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

That's exactly how I meant it. And no, I am not a certified RO or SO in either sport. It is very tough to be a RO and shoot well. That's the reason I don't do it.

The tri-pod comment was tongue in cheek for sure.

I'm relieved to hear I apparently misinterpreted what you said.  I hope you can understand my alarm ... No offense intended.

For the record ==> I know of at least one RMI who is a Master Open shooter.  He has troubles maintaining true M scores now, but that has little to do with the fact he's an "RO."  He's also over 60 and starting to slow down a little!

Edited by Schutzenmeister