Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best tablet for RO's

CrashDodson

14 hours ago, euxx said:

App store downloads are not that representative. Live stats show that active Amazon devices is at about 25..27%, Samsung - 45..47%. 

What app version are you running?

Ok, just checked and the 'master' tablet is running 1.4.7. Pretty sure the stage tablets are the same.

Edited by Phong Nguyen

31 minutes ago, Phong Nguyen said:

Ok, just checked and the 'master' tablet is running 1.4.7. Pretty sure the stage tablets are the same.

That's odd... Maybe DRM got carried over since app was installed. Amazon handles it all outside of our control, but I double checked that 1.4.7 has no DRM enabled on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 7:29 AM, Nathanb said:

I will agree that the iPad is a better device for it but not at all cost effective. 

When I can get Kindle Tablets for $39 each the iPad isn't even on my radar for a stage device.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to leave those step by step instructions here, just in case

* Removing/Disabling Amazon apps (no root required)

https://liliputing.com/2017/07/uninstall-app-amazon-fire-fire-hd-tablet-no-root-required.html

* Installing Google Play Store (maybe you want to run PractiScore Competitor on Kindle) and 3rd party launchers to Kindle (hide all the apps you don't want your ROs to see)

https://liliputing.com/2017/07/making-amazons-fire-hd-8-2017-googley-play-store-third-party-launchers.html

Good stuff Eugene, thanks.

All the Amazon-ey stuff is the one annoyance I have with these tablets, though I understand why it's there for the price. This quick and dirty page is great for those of us who don't have time to wade through hundreds of pages to learn the ins-and-outs of Android tweaking.

14 hours ago, euxx said:

I'm going to leave those step by step instructions here, just in case

* Removing/Disabling Amazon apps (no root required)

https://liliputing.com/2017/07/uninstall-app-amazon-fire-fire-hd-tablet-no-root-required.html

* Installing Google Play Store (maybe you want to run PractiScore Competitor on Kindle) and 3rd party launchers to Kindle (hide all the apps you don't want your ROs to see)

https://liliputing.com/2017/07/making-amazons-fire-hd-8-2017-googley-play-store-third-party-launchers.html

Very helpful links. Thank You I bought one of those Fire HD8 tablets for $50 on Prime Day.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up -- you buy these Fire tablets and want to clean off all the Amazon junk, do NOT allow them to install the software update to 5.4, it will disable the ability to wipe all the Amazon crapware. You need to immediately visit Euxx's links and remove the junk first, or you'll be stuck.

Eventually (hopefully) someone will figure out how to bypass Amazon's block, but for now they're stuck with the ads again.

• 2 weeks later...

We ran a fleet of these tablets at the Wisconsin Section match this weekend, and had a few reports about the screen freezing up for several seconds while entering scores. Then, after a pause, it would kick the user out to the list of shooters and they'd have to go back in and re-enter the time and scores. They were all on 1.4.13, I'm wondering if it's a tablet issue or a Practiscore issue, maybe something fixed in the .14 release? The patch notes referenced crashes from the automated reporting tool, but from the reports I heard these weren't hard app crashes, just what you might call a "crashed subroutine" or something like that?

Based on reports it only happened maybe 5 times, on an assortment of different tablets -- all were brand new Fire HD 8" tablets.

The tablets performed well otherwise, we had to shut off wifi to preserve battery life which was a bummer, in my earlier testing at club matches I'd projected we'd get through a full day of shooting with no problem, but 10 stages x 12 man squads would have been too much for the batteries. A quick 45 minute boost charge at lunch got it done, since we didn't have external batteries handy.

We ran a fleet of these tablets at the Wisconsin Section match this weekend, and had a few reports about the screen freezing up for several seconds while entering scores. Then, after a pause, it would kick the user out to the list of shooters and they'd have to go back in and re-enter the time and scores. They were all on 1.4.13, I'm wondering if it's a tablet issue or a Practiscore issue, maybe something fixed in the .14 release? The patch notes referenced crashes from the automated reporting tool, but from the reports I heard these weren't hard app crashes, just what you might call a "crashed subroutine" or something like that?

Based on reports it only happened maybe 5 times, on an assortment of different tablets -- all were brand new Fire HD 8" tablets.

Get those tablets connected to internet. So, I'd get the crash reports and will be able to investigate...

And email me match export file from one of those scoring devices

I'll do both this evening -- though it wasn't a traditional "crash" of the entire Practiscore app, just the scoring screen froze up, then flipped back to the list of competitors, then they went back in and the scores were gone (at least that's how it was explained to me).

Anyhow, I'll send over the export files to you, I know for sure which 2 of the tablets that had the problem on Sunday. Thanks Eugene.

I'll do both this evening -- though it wasn't a traditional "crash" of the entire Practiscore app, just the scoring screen froze up, then flipped back to the list of competitors, then they went back in and the scores were gone (at least that's how it was explained to me).

Anyhow, I'll send over the export files to you, I know for sure which 2 of the tablets that had the problem on Sunday. Thanks Eugene.
Thank you. Also please check if any stages or squads were locked on those devices.

• 2 months later...

I will leave this link here. Just in case.

https://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/new-amazon-fire-tablet-os-update-stops-you-from-sideloading-apps

Not really needed for loading PractiScore app on Kindles, since it is available from the Amazon app store. But could be needed for loading other apps and tools (printer, keyboard drivers, file managers, file sharing apps, etc).