Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MK1919

DrLove

One that looks promising is the UTAS -XTR. (Got one). Tooth & Nail is still working on these BUT still promotes the MKA 1919 as more developed for 3 gun... It appears that the 10 round only magazine is a hang-up on the UTAS?...(NO 18 or 23 round  "BIG" sticks as of yet)...my UTAS looks to be well built, vg quality and supposedly will take the DPMS .308 upper?.. BUT would need a different recoil set up.... (U Tube). Out of the box, the UTAS looks like it is all you would want from a mag fed shotgun where as, the stock MKA wants all the up grades that are part of the  UTAS as sold. (Like AR butt stock, aluminium lower, etc.). If your looking?, hunt the "net", I found a black one way under list price.

I have a T&N MKA 1919 Match that sits in the back of the safe because something breaks every time I look at it. It's a money pit. I recently decided to give it another chance and just when I was getting it working I tore it down for cleaning and found the bolt carrier broken for the 2nd time.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I am shooting a T&N and have been for about 3 years with thousands of round and love it. Have had a few minor problems here and there, but reliability has been as good or better than any of my other open guns. Great to have 24 rounds in  a mag that works. I have the mid barrel comp. Shoot slugs like a laser.T&N CS is great, always helps out with any questions and answers all my emails. Never broke anything on mine. Wore some parts out and replaced them. For me the muscle memory from shooting my AR transfers right to this shotgun.

That said I shoot with Mike & Lan from Dissident Arms and they are building a great open shotgun on the Vepr platform that works very well. Would be worth looking into either one.

gerritm

I ended up trading my T&N for a Firebird and couldn't be happier. The T&N was a jam machine with just about any magazine, the Firebird runs 100%. Something to look into, especially since the Firebird is the same price for much much better design.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lots of us are shooting Dissident Arms Vepr12s in 3 gun with great success. The guns are rock solid from DA. I have 25 round drum and 20, 18, 15 and 12 round box magazine options that all work great.

#onlyshootopen

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Firebird TAC-12A1.  After finding the right ammo (Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz, 3 dram equivalent for me), adjusting the gas down to a safe, comfortable range, and tuning the mag feed lips, it has been flawless.  I do use Tooth & Nail mags (10 rnd, 18 rnd, & 28 rnd) and had Josh at T&N install a JP Roller trigger in it.  I love the gun!

I wanted to put a brake or comp on it, but the barrel isn't externally threaded so I couldn't use a VEPR style, and I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the barrel for a mid-barrel brake.  So, I machined my own patterned after the SJC Titan .223 brake.  I did "sled testing" similar to the series of tests you've probably seen comparing a variety of AR brakes/comps and got about 20% recoil reduction by using my clamp-on muzzle brake.  

Lan & Michael (Dissident Arms) are both great guys, so I'm not dissing them or their company in any way.  I liked the AR pattern gun better.  Matt & Josh (Tooth & Nail) are also great guys.  I preferred the fully machined uppers and lowers from Firebird.

I also have a Firebird TAC-12 A1.  It runs flawlessly.  There is a company called Cadiz Gunworks (I think) that makes winchokes that are extended that have the Saiga/ Molot threads on them.  You can then thread on any of the Saiga/Molot muzzle devices on the market.  The problem is that they only come in cylinder bore.  They also have a tendency to loosen unless red locktite did in.  I was thinking about having one made through Briley's that was in a light modified constriction.  

Edited by Zebraman

• 4 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, DrLove said:

Anyone still using the MK1919 or are there newer open shotguns on the market? sorry, haven't done 3-gun in a while!

The 1919 is still around and working great, depending on who built it..I use a saiga and its hard to find parts for it due to Russian not allowing imports..

• 3 weeks later...

Tooth and Nail does great work on the 1919s.  You have to watch the mags though, if it is a warm day I keep my shells and loaded mags in a cooler with a few Ice packs.  Keeps the shells from getting hot and getting out of round and causing any feeding issues.