Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stepped brass

9x45

10 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

If the step is to control bullet setback, it would be a very compressed load, take a look at a cutaway with a 124 seated to the step, it would look pretty funny and probably not feed very well.

Ammoload 2.JPG

Ammoload 1.JPG

Wow...funky.  Ya, I could see where that would be an issue.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No idea why they do it but I throw it all away.  I had a separation that got stuck in the bore of my gun and it was a major pain to remove.  I have the two pieces stuck to a shelf above my loading bench as a reminder to check every case.

Edited by Unibrain
grammer

My 650 encountered the first Maxxtech crap round. Sure enough stepped big time. Locked the press up.

I'll be putting this in the Crap pile with, FM, Hotshot, CBC and other trash.......

Back to sorting this large batch by  headstamp.......frustrating.......

28 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

My 650 encountered the first Maxxtech crap round. Sure enough stepped big time. Locked the press up.

I'll be putting this in the Crap pile with, FM, Hotshot, CBC and other trash.......

How did it lock up your 650? I load it on mine with no problem.

1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

It locked the press up because of the internal step in the brass....how did you die get past the step to,deprime the case???

Not all stepped brass is created equally, the height of the step vary between brands. On Ammoload and IMT, I can run them through the sizing die with no problems. (but they never get that far anymore, they are in the scrap bucket first :blink:)

It locked the press up because of the internal step in the brass....how did you die get past the step to,deprime the case???

I agree...but this Maxxtech crap is a whole different animal.......

I guess I need to see a maxxtech. Not sure I have loaded any of those but all the other stepped brands go through my dies just fine. But I do use LEE and EGW Udies though.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I guess I need to see a maxxtech. Not sure I have loaded any of those but all the other stepped brands go through my dies just fine. But I do use LEE and EGW Udies though.

Maxxtech on the left and a freedom on the right

IMG_5347.JPG

Maxxtech on the left and a freedom on the right
IMG_5347.thumb.JPG.edbad49b6ae56c85b39c15ecbc6b581a.JPG

Wow...

I'm about half-way through sorting 80#'s of 9mm by head stamp. Good to see the reason why I have been pitching these in the scrap bin.

Thank you for sharing.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, Wolfmetalfab said:

The maxxtech isn't as bad seeing that it will stop the loader, IMO this crap is worse, seems to like to separate at the ledge 

IMT and FM stamped crap 

dZbHwYIl.jpg?1

Even this stuff is pretty easy to detect when running through a sizing die. 

At least I find it to be. 

On 6/20/2017 at 6:52 AM, TANFARM said:

I don't understand how this locked your press up. I have hit them and yes it's like hitting a wall. 

I just slightly lower the ram(not enough to rotate the shellplate) then knock the piece out with my finger and continue on. 

Perhaps my phrasing was incorrect...it does not " lock up" the press..its just when the EGW die hits the stepped portion its like a brick wall.....that being said..it's crap brass for reloading..IMHO...9mm to plentiful for messing around with this stuff.....

32 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

My assumption is to prevent bullet setback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Nope, the step is too deep. (I've given up trying to figure out the "why")

Ammoload 1.JPG

Ammoload 2.JPG

Ammoload 3.JPG

• 1 month later...