Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which primers will it pop>?

johnbu

30 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

A lot would depend on how far the anvil in the primer is from the open end of the primer, or from the other end, how far it is from the closed end of the primer.

Basically, if you seat the primer so the open end is touching the bottom of the primer cup in the case itself you should then have no problem with ignition.

exactly. I seat until I have an ever-so slight deformation or dimple on the primer. Never had a single issue with light strikes. 

4 hours ago, Nathanb said:

And there is a .003 difference in seating depth. Now the question is can you even say they aren't seated as deep with that info now

I don't think you (confidently) can. I had bought into the prevailing online view. That the rock hard CCI primers couldn't be driven into the pocket as deeply as softer primers by the non-adjustable 650's priming system.

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I don't think you (confidently) can. I had bought into the prevailing online view. That the rock hard CCI primers couldn't be driven into the pocket as deeply as softer primers by the non-adjustable 650's priming system.

Your 650 seats both (CCI and Winchester) primers to the same depth. Since the CCI is 0.006 of an inch taller than the Winchester, it's anvil is 0.006 closer to the bottom of the primer pocket of the cartridge case. This being the case you would think that setting it (the CCI) off would be easier.

Do you suppose it might be cup thickness?

The Tula KVB-5.56M  SRM primers I use in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56 are 0.118 and the anvil legs are even with the open end of the cup.  I've never had a problem with them firing, but, I only use 1911s and an AR, of course.

I've measured the depth of a number of cases and even using same brand of brass the primer cavity in the case varies in depth.  Not a vast amount but when whatever you are priming with only seats each primer the same depth from the base of the cartridge case it's probable that not all of the primers will be seated touching the bottom of the case cavity.

One thing is for certain. After I adjusted my S1050 to seat the primers deeper, the Tanfo misfires stopped. This is with a PD 14 pound hammer spring.

P.S. And I am not a nerd. I only play one on this website. :wacko:

Edited by MikieM

On 6/5/2017 at 3:20 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

What brand of primer are you using? With a 650 I find that the non-adjustable priming system simply won't seat a CCI any deeper than .002" to .003" below flush in many brands of mixed brass.

Consequently, I run a lot of hammer spring and don't worry about the gun going click on anything below flush or with factory ammo.

I agree with your measurement.  But the CCI is slightly longer than the winchester.  so they are both seated and that is why there is a difference. win   .005-.006

cci    .002-.003

anyway that is what I measure