Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riggers belt?

pkrhed

Hey guess what? I've been losing weight! Still have a pretty good beer belly but I've lost almost 15 pounds over the last year. Have always worn a plain leather 1.5" (usually Galco) belt. The one I have now I cut an extra hole in to make it smaller and now that's even a little too loose. Was listening to a podcast talking about rigger's belts and the infinite adjustability and that sounds like what I need with my fluctuating waistline.

So, any recommendations on a reasonably priced 1.5" rigger's belt?

I wore a blackhawk riggers belt when I was enlisted. Worked fine for me then but the velcro did wear out in about a year and a half. Granted I was using it as my daily belt so it got more abuse than a shooter would unless they are dry firing every day of the week.

Wilderness Instructor Belt. Comes in your choice of 3 different stiffnesses. For everyday wear (with a gun IWB or OWB), I use the 5-stitch (middle stiffness option), which is what most people recommended. If you prefer a softer belt, go with the 3-stitch. If you're going to use it only for competition or with a lot of weight on the belt, then I'd go for the even stiffer option. 

http://www.thewilderness.com/belts/original-instructor-belt/

Specter Gear double thickness belt:  https://www.amazon.com/Specter-Gear-Resort-Double-Thick/dp/B009HRUJGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496550908&sr=8-2&keywords=specter%2Bgear%2Bbelt&th=1&psc=1  I don't wear it as much as I used to (it was my competition rig belt for awhile, and then just I wore it as a weekend belt for a bit) but it's over ten years old and works as good as new.

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a 5.11 1-3/4" "Trainer" at a shop on the way home. They had those and HSGI. Only difference I could tell besides the buckle was that huge D-ring, I don't see why I need that.

11 hours ago, pkrhed said:

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a 5.11 1-3/4" "Trainer" at a shop on the way home. They had those and HSGI. Only difference I could tell besides the buckle was that huge D-ring, I don't see why I need that.

This, except that my wife and I use the 1 1/2" belt.

I have two (2) Ares Ranger Gear belts. They are great, not cheap but well worth it. One is almost 5 years old and still looks good and the other is 2nd hand, at least 2 years old still looks new.  They are nice enough to wear a bit upscale; nice cowboy boots, jeans & a dress shirt.  My favorite part is no Velcro to mess with or worry about lapping over your holster.  The bucket is the only downside, have to take it off the belt in order to thread or un-thread your belt loops.

Edited by SCTaylor

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

I have two (2) Ares Ranger Gear belts. They are great, not cheap but well worth it. One is almost 5 years old and still looks good and the other is 2nd hand, at least 2 years old still looks new.  They are nice enough to wear a bit upscale; nice cowboy boots, jeans & a dress shirt.  My favorite part is no Velcro to mess with or worry about lapping over your holster.  The bucket is the only downside, have to take it off the belt in order to thread or un-thread your belt loops.

That's the ranger belt...they have the regular belt.  Every now and then, they have a scratch and dent sale you can get at a good price.  I have one of the scratch and dent and the buckle is a little nicked, very little, which I figured I would have nicked it sometime in the life of wearing the belt anyway.  Down side is that the buckle is a little thick...you get used to it though.

• 1 month later...

The ranger buckle or cobra type is a difficult to adjust in a match and has to be disassembled to remove the holster etc.  The regular instructor belt seems much easier.  I have a five stitch but I'd spring for polymer layer option in the future.  After a couple years the five stitch is not as stiff as it was.