Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil difference between CZ and Sig

How is the recoil difference between the CZ Scorpion and the Sig MBX. The CZ seems to have aftermarket parts coming along and the rifle itself is not that expensive compared to the Sig MBX. Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Adam

From what I have researched the Sig recoils less and you can use AR triggers.

With that being said I have an SBR'd and suppressed scorpion and have. I shot the Sig. The scorpion recoils more then I thought it would. It it's nothing to control it. I believe the huge bolt of the scorpion is the issue.

The scorpion is my favorite gun to shoot though and it feels/sounds like a paintball gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another difference is the locking bolt/gas operated MPX vs. the blowback CZ.  The CZ felt more like shooting a blowback AR to me, the MPX is more like a very light recoiling AR in 5.56.  

2 hours ago, Old3GNR said:

The first PCC I shot was a Scorpion.  I like the gun but hated the trigger.  There are mods for this but why not buy a JP?

I tried a buddies JP and that thing kick a lot for a 9mm. I shot the MPX right after and it recoil a lot less. I was wondering about the Scorpion because it is a LOT cheaper.

Thanks,

Adam

Hello: We have a couple of guys shooting a CZ here. Both had trigger work done and some other things as well. An AR 9mm works best if you tune the buffer setup and and also use reloads. It seems that the Sig needs a trigger and some other mods to make it better also. If the Sig was in the $1000 range I may even try one but being in the $1500 range and needing the mods puts it over the $2000 range which is a deal breaker for me. The CZ is an option but they are just ugly to my eyes. Thanks, Eric

fbc0d18f4bbfc605dbcfaf84bd05ece3.jpg

How can you say this is ugly?!?

The trigger was terrible stock but I am quite happy with the HBi trigger and spring kit.

CZ Custom also sells a trigger that supposed to be one of the nicest triggers made but they are $$$.

Comparing the Scorpion to the MPX is like comparing a Glock to a 1911. Life's too short to own ugly guns.

As for cost difference. You'll spend more in ammo in a few years than you will on the gun. 

4 hours ago, v1911 said:

Comparing the Scorpion to the MPX is like comparing a Glock to a 1911. Life's too short to own ugly guns.

As for cost difference. You'll spend more in ammo in a few years than you will on the gun. 

Exactly, one is cheaper and will always run.  The other you pay out the ass for and hope it runs when you need it to.

I've used both and much prefer the Scorpion.

I have never shot the Sig but I would like too.

I will tell you though every time I go to the range the scorpion gets shot. Also when people shoot it they absolutely want one haha.

With the longer hand guard and suppressor it's so awesome to shoot.

I have had both but sold the MPX. The sig is softer no doubt. The CZ is not bad in the carbine configuration and has a brake on it from the factory. I went with the CZ for PCC. It's serviceable with an HBI trigger and AK safety (right side) and so far completely reliable. MPX (gen 2) had some issues.

Our club has several PCCs in service. Haven't seen the Scorpion or the MPX (gen2) have any issues. I haven't run very many rounds through my MPX (gen1) but it's been a dream to shoot and no issues.

I simply enjoy holding and shooting the MPX more. I like the extra heft that the metal build provides. Just feels good in the hands.

The downside to the SIG though is the lack of support from SIG. Too many promises and not near enough follow through. Thankfully I have zero need to change calibers. But I just might succumb to the Lancer CF handguard. I just love the look of CF. 

Our club has several PCCs in service. Haven't seen the Scorpion or the MPX (gen2) have any issues. I haven't run very many rounds through my MPX (gen1) but it's been a dream to shoot and no issues.

I simply enjoy holding and shooting the MPX more. I like the extra heft that the metal build provides. Just feels good in the hands.

The downside to the SIG though is the lack of support from SIG. Too many promises and not near enough follow through. Thankfully I have zero need to change calibers. But I just might succumb to the Lancer CF handguard. I just love the look of CF. 

Cost of mags is wild too. Like damn people gotta get a break somewhere.

14 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

So what I am seeing is the the recoil difference between the two is not worth the extra $600. Plus the price in mag difference as well. 

it might be worth it depending on your uses.

i shoot a MPX and do not reload.  a friend of mine has an MPX and reloads.  his ammo in my gun, the dot barely moves.  then i'll shoot the fctory ammo, and no wonder i'm getting my ass kicked.  before i bought my MPX, he let me shoot his JP (same blow back as a CZ) and the MPX, i chose the MPX because the dot didn't move around as much letting me get back on target quicker. so to me, it was worth it.

i only have a combined total of 5000 rounds thru the 2 MPXs (3000 gen1, 2000 gen2).  i have had 4 stoppages with the gen2, i was using gen1 mags.  when i sold my gen1, those 2 mags went with the gun.  i started using 2 different brand new gen1 mags in the gen2 gun without a stoppage in 1500ish rounds.  i was going to SBR the gen1 (but decided against it a month or so ago) and i bought 10 mags for it before the election.  i also bought my gen2 carbine right before the election as well, so i am kinda stuck with gen1 mags.

Edited by corey4

Well, a thought. The CZ was a sub machine gun before it was a rifle, many sold world wide. We have 3 each CZ's rifles in our group with HB trigger springs & HB AK right side safety's. All shot in PPC competition since last December, all run and run.... (2 use reloads and one owner uses Factory 115's).. 30 round factory mags for less than $20.00. (I've cracked the feed lips on 2 of them by jamming mags in (Not too worry, Prepper Gun Shop  sells metal feed lip 32 round mags for $30). The mag extensions from TF work and generally make the course of fire a one mag deal ( except for forced reloads ). The only problem thus far..... one owner had his barrel loosen and it required a special tool to retighten, $70. (I made one from a 24 mm long socket, cut in half and welded a piece of 1" inch pipe in between the now split socket, cost was $8).  If your lucky, you can find the rifle for $850/$900 on sale....I have a 9mm Just Right carbine & a PSA Glock mag gun that now sit in the safe.....While your at it, don't overlook the Sightmark Ultra dot ($70 ish)... That red  "circle/dot" combo is a winner for me.....  The recoil issue is a non issue for us.... There are 2 MPX's  that shoot in the same PPC match's, can't say I seen any major problems with them....

Edited by mike NM

I've got the mpx in sbr format. It is very soft shooting with my production reloads. I think it recoils more with the short barrel though and that's not much. I like that it's very ar styled in its fire control groups and operation. Muscle memory is easy and lets face it. Short barreled and suppressed with a hiperfire 24c in it makes for a really fun gun

I have an MPX.  To my mind it does need to be modded for our game.  You might like the stock but most people, including me hate it.  Add an adapter and AR stock.  Toss the trigger and put in a Hiperfire.  That is more bucks.  The handguard is about the size of a sewer pipe.  Add in a CF smaller diameter handguard.  Lastly is the gas port issue.  With the Gen 2 they decreased the gas port size because the suppressor boys were complaining about getting gassed in the face.  You have a couple options.  1. Shoot ammo at around 140ish PF.  2.  Load slow burning powder which lets you get down to 130 but you have more dot movement than is optimal.  3.  Have the gas port opened to .060 by one of the couple of gunsmiths who do this so you can run fast powders at 130.  This of course is more money.  Once you do all of this you will have a great PCC that has almost no recoil or dot movement with dead nuts reliable 40 round magazines.    Is this the least expensive path?  Hell no.  In the end is it a dang impressive platform?  Bet your ass.  The Scorpion is a perfectly serviceable weapon after you swap out the trigger and safeties but I have several friends who have switched from Scorpions to the MPX for what that is worth.  

14 hours ago, Neomet said:

I have an MPX.  To my mind it does need to be modded for our game.  You might like the stock but most people, including me hate it.  Add an adapter and AR stock.  Toss the trigger and put in a Hiperfire.  That is more bucks.  The handguard is about the size of a sewer pipe.  Add in a CF smaller diameter handguard.  Lastly is the gas port issue.  With the Gen 2 they decreased the gas port size because the suppressor boys were complaining about getting gassed in the face.  You have a couple options.  1. Shoot ammo at around 140ish PF.  2.  Load slow burning powder which lets you get down to 130 but you have more dot movement than is optimal.  3.  Have the gas port opened to .060 by one of the couple of gunsmiths who do this so you can run fast powders at 130.  This of course is more money.  Once you do all of this you will have a great PCC that has almost no recoil or dot movement with dead nuts reliable 40 round magazines.    Is this the least expensive path?  Hell no.  In the end is it a dang impressive platform?  Bet your ass.  The Scorpion is a perfectly serviceable weapon after you swap out the trigger and safeties but I have several friends who have switched from Scorpions to the MPX for what that is worth.  

I have a Scorpion. And then I picked up an MPX, and I did ALL of the mods Neomet mentions above. The end result after all that expense and effort and frustration fixing the cycling/gas port issue, is a remarkably soft shooting gun.

Now, am I any faster? Ehhh, yeah, but if I'm being honest with myself, it's not because of the gun, but because I've been shooting more, and learned more, and improved myself. At my last stage, I switched to the Scorp, just to try and I went just as fast. Yes, the Scorpion has more recoil, but it's linear and straight back, with little dot bounce. If you're placing in the top 3-5 at your matches, then yeah, maaaybe the MPX might shave enough time to make a difference. But if you're upper-mid-pack or lower....I dunno. Just be honest with yourself. 

So although I love my MPX, in hindsight, I should have just stuck with the 100% reliable, fast and steady Scorp, and used that couple grand to spend a week in Maui. Then again, it's nice having both toys :)

Edited by SergioSF

I actually agree with you Sergio.  Indian not the arrow thing.  I might move up a place or three with the MPX but I actually like having the best gun I can (particularly if I tweak it to get it there) as an end unto itself.  I don't doubt for a second that our scores would improve more if we took all the money we spent on changing the gun around and put it into ammo for quality practice.  :-)

Edited by Neomet
  • 2 weeks later...

I have shot both as well as a JP GMR 13.  All three gun cans be competitive in USPSA but will require some modifications. 

With that said, I look at it this way.  The scorpion is like shooting a Glock, M&P, ect. in limited where the MPX is like shooting a nice 2011.