Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I just recieved my new GMR-15 and it is a fantastic gun.  I ran my first USPSA match with it today and ran into a problem that I am not sure how to fix.  Thought others with this gun might have had the same problem.  There is an empty hole in the lower as you will see in the attached pictures.  I cannot see that it serves any purpose other than to possibly lighten the lower?  At any rate I had a magazine miss feed and the bullet dropped into this hole and took quite a bit of work to get it out.  Forget this match for sure.

Any ideas of how I could fill in this hole without causing other problems?  My State USPSA match is in two weeks, so I don't have time to ship the rifle back to JP even if they have a remedy, before this match.

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

Here is the response from JP.  Hope this helps others too.  I filled mine with JBWeld epoxi.

"The whole you are talking about only purpose is weight reduction. It can be filled in with an epoxy or some sort of plastic plug. Let me know if you have any other questions."   
19 hours ago, 10cup said:

Here is the response from JP.  Hope this helps others too.  I filled mine with JBWeld epoxi.

"The whole you are talking about only purpose is weight reduction. It can be filled in with an epoxy or some sort of plastic plug. Let me know if you have any other questions."   

Really?  JP tech doesn't know how to spell "hole"?  :huh:

Interesting as my friend who just got his GMR-15 called them about this "issue" and they told him "we've never heard of this issue from anyone".  :o

Hmm.

Can you tell us exactly what sort of "magazine missfeed" you had that led to this issue you had?

James

Not sure what type of miss feed it was but it was with a standard Glock 17 mag. I racked the slide and it went into battery and fired.  Did the same thing three times in the classifier. then during  unloading I discovered the live round in the hole.  

Really?  JP tech doesn't know how to spell "hole"?  :huh:

Interesting as my friend who just got his GMR-15 called them about this "issue" and they told him "we've never heard of this issue from anyone".  [emoji33]

Hmm.

Can you tell us exactly what sort of "magazine missfeed" you had that led to this issue you had?

James

It doesn't happen often, but it will likely happen to most people running a similar lower at one time or another. His most likely happened with a double feed and the live round never fell out. I've had it happen with a spent case that didn't eject properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 3 months later...

Ok JB weld it is silly problem to have for a rifle this expensive. Did you fill it up all the way? Could you post pictures? I've only shot 3 matches with this rifle and it's already happened twice. What should have been an easy tap rack took quite a bit of effort to clear. 

9 minutes ago, jonb. said:

Ok JB weld it is silly problem to have for a rifle this expensive. Did you fill it up all the way? Could you post pictures? I've only shot 3 matches with this rifle and it's already happened twice. What should have been an easy tap rack took quite a bit of effort to clear. 

Yes just fill it flush with the top like the hole was never milled and it will be perfect.  Let the epoxy set for 24 hours. 

IMG_1387.JPG

Edited by 10cup

The hole itself is not a problem, unless you have a malfunction and the casing falls into the hole.  Then the hole complicates what should be a simple problem to resolve.  

If you fix your underlying bullet control problem, the hole topic resolves itself. 

Edited by L9X25

Definitely not true. I have experienced a double feed then when trying to clear the malfunction by dropping the mag pulling the bolt back one of the live rounds actually finds it's way into the hole. Happened two times out of the three matches I've shot. 

24 minutes ago, jonb. said:

Definitely not true. I have experienced a double feed then when trying to clear the malfunction by dropping the mag pulling the bolt back one of the live rounds actually finds it's way into the hole. Happened two times out of the three matches I've shot. 

Exactly,  you had a double feed (malfunction) and THEN a shell fell into the hole when you were trying to clear it.   The hole did not cause the double feed, your magazine did.  In the case of an empty shell in the hole, it is a case that did not eject and fell in the hole, another malfunction.  

There is no reason for a bullet or shell casing to get behind the magazine, unless something else has malfunctioned and allowed it go go there.  In that case, you already had a jam but the hole make it a lot more difficult to clear it.    

Have you ever had a .223 fly up into the gas tube channel?  Often requires that you disassemble the rifle, and your stage is done.  Not terribly different from the hole situation.  

Edited by L9X25