Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grandbagging Rules

p7fl

Grandbagging Rules

Going back 15-20 years my home club used to allow shooters a 2nd turn at classifiers.

You waited till everyone was done, paid an extra $5.00 and shot it again. Only the first run counted for the match, both scores were sent in to HQ.

The club no longer does this. Some of the guys I shoot with want to move up in ranking. I get it and would like to assist them.

I believe some of the rules allowing multiple runs at Classifiers have changed.

Can anyone update me?  Example if we set up 4-6 classifiers at a member USPSA club, allow multiple runs, etc is this allowed. As a 16  + year CRO I was asked to be responsible for keeping this on the straight and narrow.

Is this allowed,  legal?

Thanks for the help.

the actual answer is yes, it is perfectly OK under the rules to take a 2nd chance at a classifier, especially if you have some kind of gun or brain malfunction the first run. It is no longer OK to reshoot multiple times, and I think that is good. There is a particular reason for that change.

Our club does the same thing, and generally the people taking advantage are folks who had a disaster during the match, especially if they only need 1 more decent score to move up, or if they are going to a major match and don't want to still be classed below their actual ability.

But yeah, the best way to move up in class is to practice the particular skills that classifiers require, such as draws to an accurate first shot with a good grip, reloads and on an awful lot of them, fast consistent shooting at 10-15 yard partial targets (which help the f*ck out of your stage scores too, btw). I think someone who takes a second chance at every classifier will probably get subjected to some mockery, but I see nothing wrong with reshooting one when something went wrong enough to make the score well below your ability.

Edited by motosapiens

On 6/3/2017 at 4:34 PM, motosapiens said:

the actual answer is yes, it is perfectly OK under the rules to take a 2nd chance at a classifier, especially if you have some kind of gun or brain malfunction the first run. It is no longer OK to reshoot multiple times, and I think that is good. There is a particular reason for that change.

Our club does the same thing, and generally the people taking advantage are folks who had a disaster during the match, especially if they only need 1 more decent score to move up, or if they are going to a major match and don't want to still be classed below their actual ability.

But yeah, the best way to move up in class is to practice the particular skills that classifiers require, such as draws to an accurate first shot with a good grip, reloads and on an awful lot of them, fast consistent shooting at 10-15 yard partial targets (which help the f*ck out of your stage scores too, btw). I think someone who takes a second chance at every classifier will probably get subjected to some mockery, but I see nothing wrong with reshooting one when something went wrong enough to make the score well below your ability.

hmmm this is something new to me. So are you saying if a shooter has a gun or other issue while shooting the classifier they get a mulligan and can do it again? 

8 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

hmmm this is something new to me. So are you saying if a shooter has a gun or other issue while shooting the classifier they get a mulligan and can do it again? 

Sure, if they want to pay for it. Most places around here  charge $5 to reshoot classifiers to keep EVERYBODY from wanting to reshoot. 

That being said it still only happens every once in awhile. 

10 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

yes. it won't count for score in the  match, but it will count for your classification.

Also not that unusual to see shooters reshoot a classifier in a diferent division just so they can get classified in that division if they are going to a big match soon and don't want to be 'U'.

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

yes. it won't count for score in the  match, but it will count for your classification.

Also not that unusual to see shooters reshoot a classifier in a diferent division just so they can get classified in that division if they are going to a big match soon and don't want to be 'U'.

ok i must have misunderstood as i thought  it meant that they got a mulligan for free on the first try.  

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this up a couple months later, but I was trying to research this topic.

I saw on USPSAs "member look up" thing that a guy I shoot with on occasion shot a classifier four times, making a almost 30+% increase in score by the last one.

All four were posted as classifiers on his thing.

I thought this was no longer legal?

Edited by LeviSS

If people want to be artificially ranked above their actual skill level, fine by me... this season I beat over 80% of the shooters in the class above me at majors.  Just shows to me that they are classified above their actual shooting level.  Big difference in static classifier performance and sustained performance across an entire day of shooting a major match.

Edited by bluedevil008

This is what I'm referring to from Feb 28, 2017 BOD meeting.

4.  Mike Foley,President-Limiting multiple re-entry classifiers in a single division in a single match to a maximum of one, moved forward from January BOD Meeting.  Motion by Area 8, second by Area 5,to limit classifier re-entries in a single division in a single match to a maximum of one re-entry, for classification purposes. 

Motion passed 11:38PM.

4 hours ago, LeviSS said:

Sorry to bring this up a couple months later, but I was trying to research this topic.

I saw on USPSAs "member look up" thing that a guy I shoot with on occasion shot a classifier four times, making a almost 30+% increase in score by the last one.

All four were posted as classifiers on his thing.

I thought this was no longer legal?

It depends on when he shot them. All in one day at the same match, then probably not legal per the rules...shot on different days, at different matches, legal.

For instance I can have 10 Bang and Clang classifier scores on my classifier look up...but they were all shot at different matches. 

2 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

It depends on when he shot them. All in one day at the same match, then probably not legal per the rules...shot on different days, at different matches, legal.

For instance I can have 10 Bang and Clang classifier scores on my classifier look up...but they were all shot at different matches. 

Same day, same place, same division.

Edited by LeviSS