Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS40 barrel concavity

Lior

Hi Folks. I've taken possession of a newish TS40 (made 2014). The racking action feels much grittier than that of my TS9 or CzechMate.

Upon field stripping, the recoil spring guide rod doesn't engage in the dimple on the underside of the barrel. Instead of a right angled recess for the guide rod, there is a concave surface, possibly intended by CZ to increase barrel lifetime (my speculation).

I got fails to eject galore when I installed a DPM spring. It is difficult to get the slide back onto the frame after installing a CZ recoil buffer on the guide rod.

Is this normal in TS40s and is there anything I can do realistically to improve spring fit?

I have attached a picture showing the guide rod diverging from the barrel instead of running parallel to it. Said concavity appears above the aft end of the factory guide rod, in front of the barrel's "kidney".

ts40chamfer.jpg

Edited by Lior

1 hour ago, Lior said:

Not at all - that's an illusion due to the spring surrounding it.

Ok. What kind of buffer you try to use? The old TS came with black plastic buffer. It was not very good. The new flat transparent ones are much better. You can make it smaller with utility knife and check if it works better.

2 minutes ago, PRanta said:

Ok. What kind of buffer you try to use? The old TS came with black plastic buffer. It was not very good. The new flat transparent ones are much better. You can make it smaller with utility knife and check if it works better.

Thanks for the heads-up. My TS40 came with the thick black buffer. Heretofore I have not used it in live fire.

Thanks for the response OS. Ammo is Sellier & Bellot 170 grain. I checked the grip tape and it's not an issue. The slide runs very smoothly on the rails with the spring removed. Tried the shortest DPM spring in the kit and for most shots the slide didn't meet the ejector or slide stop. With the longest DPM spring I got one such FTF in two magfuls. I'm guessing that breaking in the DPM guide rod should help. 

The stock recoil spring of the TS with plastic guide rod runs flawlessly.

Thanks once again. It's reassuring to learn that other people have the modified barrel and it runs properly.

Edited by Lior

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

1. The gun runs fine now, with DPM spring. Just ran the slide on its intended frame and I attribute the failures to a poor fit to a substitute frame.

2. The gun is bloody amazing in competition!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more experience with the gun and I've had two more FTEs with the spent case being left in the chamber and the slide stuck mostly back (slide stop not engaged). Not fun!

S&B 180 grain factory ammo, DPM recoil spring and guide rod.

• 11 months later...

In the end the gun went back to the CZ dealer.  Even with a new extractor the gun would sometimes fail to go into battery because the short plastic guide rod (bent out of place by the barrel reinforcement) would snag on the front of the slide instead of going into its hole.

So I'm shooting Standard/ Limited with a 9mm CzechMate and this gun seems to be far better fitted and more reliable than my TS40 of similar vintage.