Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conversion Barrel for M&P 40 Pro

ErikSS

Given that the M&P Pro series comes from the factory in both 40 cal  and 9mm, is using a 40->9mm conversion barrel legal in production, or no?  I've read the rules a few times and looked at some threads here, but still not clear on this one.  Is the fact that the gun is called an "M&P40 Pro" mean that it would not be legal to convert the barrel to 9mm in Production, and that I would end up in Limited, or is the fact that there's an "M&P9 Pro" available from the factory mean that it's a legal change.  Thanks.

No, it's not legal per App D4, 21.3:

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

That would be a great rule to be reviewed (IMHO).

I know I miss a lot and am probably missing the scope of all the guns involved (on the production list) ... but ...

Since you are scored minor anyhow ... and ... if the replacement barrel met all the "other" criteria (no ports, same contour etc) ... and ... the gun still made weight (2oz over the listed weight) ... etc etc etc ....

Just thinking about what the impact would be if the word "caliber" were removed.

Looking out of my own tunnel I am thinking how neat it would be for all those guys with the M&P 40 fullsize ... (possibly turn-ins) ... that possibly don't even reload (you can get 1000 9mm delivered to your house these days for less than $200) to pick up a conversion barrel and shoot production. 

Since "new" guns only get added to the Production List by "applying" to be added ... perhaps certain models could be "exempted" from the "caliber" specification on a case by case basis. Or perhaps ... someone wanting to shoot Production should just get over it ... purchase a compliant gun and move on. :excl:

I dunno ... I have a 40 and I reload ... but if it were legal I might jump on a conversion barrel and mags just to be able to play with the 9.