Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload while moving away from box A

phxbenk

At our local steel match on Tuesday, which is based almost exactly on USPSA rules, there was a stage that had a mandatory reload that stated "make a mandatory reload while moving away from box A".

I performed this reload while moving but finished the reload as I stepped into box B, it wasn't very far.  I was given a procedural for this.

I read the description again and it did not state "finish the reload before entering box b".  For the sake of time I didn't contest it and just moved on, as it was only a practice match.  I was wondering if this truly was a procedural or would it have been an allowed action during a normal match?

3 minutes ago, seadog_99 said:

Since it's "based ALMOST exactly on USPSA..." rules I'd say they can do whatever they want. Why don't they just USE the USPSA rulebook and affiliate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. We can't help with made up rules at unsanctioned matches.

Falling steel matches can't really affiliate, since they don't use paper targets and normally use unapproved steel targets.  Non-sanctioned matches, as mentioned above, can pretty much impose whatever penalties they want.

Having said that, the requirements for mandatory reloads are normally spelled out in the WSB, and then it's only to state when, not where (e.g., engage X targets, then make a mandatory reload, then engage Y targets).  Requiring that the reload must be performed prior to a position goes contrary to 8.1.4.

8.1.4 Unless complying with a Division requirement (see Appendix D), a competitor must not be restricted on the number of rounds to be loaded or reloaded in a handgun. Written stage briefings may only stipulate when the handgun is to be loaded or when mandatory reloads are required (when permitted under Rules 1.1.5.1 and 1.1.5.2).

Understood regarding that, but I figured this would be the best place to ask what the opinion was, again it was just a fun practice match they do every week, so I am not too concerned, just wondering how that would play out at a normal USPSA match, for which I have one this weekend. :)

3 hours ago, phxbenk said:

At our local steel match on Tuesday, which is based almost exactly on USPSA rules, there was a stage that had a mandatory reload that stated "make a mandatory reload while moving away from box A".

I performed this reload while moving but finished the reload as I stepped into box B, it wasn't very far.  I was given a procedural for this.

I read the description again and it did not state "finish the reload before entering box b".  For the sake of time I didn't contest it and just moved on, as it was only a practice match.  I was wondering if this truly was a procedural or would it have been an allowed action during a normal match?

I got a +5 the week before doing the exact same thing.  Even after the MD told me the stage was written poorly and he would not give me a +5 as I did nothing wrong.  

Edited by echotango

'Almost" USPSA is NOT USPSA, even under Steel Challenge rules, which is owned by USPSA. You have to follow  the written stage description. Since it did not preclude finishing the reload in box B, under USPSA rules, that would be allowed, but it was not a USPSA match.  And procedurals have to be described, even for "local practice" matches. I don't believe there was an extra big rock on the prize table, so move on. And since it was clearly not a sanctioned USPSA match, what does a "normal match" mean in terms of rules???

Edited by 9x45

On 6/4/2017 at 5:52 PM, 9x45 said:

'Almost" USPSA is NOT USPSA, even under Steel Challenge rules, which is owned by USPSA. You have to follow  the written stage description. Since it did not preclude finishing the reload in box B, under USPSA rules, that would be allowed, but it was not a USPSA match.  And procedurals have to be described, even for "local practice" matches. I don't believe there was an extra big rock on the prize table, so move on. And since it was clearly not a sanctioned USPSA match, what does a "normal match" mean in terms of rules???

A normal match I would consider as one that is sanctioned by USPSA and is running fully under the USPSA rulebook.

My question was not about me moving on, I did that after the stage as such that I stated I did not question it there since it is just a local practice match, no prizes or classification, it was simply to ask what others thought of such a procedural penalty in the sense that many of us attend events with different rules(USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, etc)

20 minutes ago, phxbenk said:

it was simply to ask what others thought of such a procedural penalty in the sense that many of us attend events with different rules(USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, etc)

Many have commented on sanctioned vs non-sanctioned matches. To answer your core question: It was a dumb procedural penalty. ;)

Edited by ChuckS