Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOLO Tuning for a longer DA pull

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be updating this thread soon with a method on how to tune your BOLO for a longer DA pull encase your experiencing a shorter DA throw. Please standby as we have time we'll begin to add information. 

Awesome news

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, johnbu said:

Indeed. Awesome news.

But follow Joe's directions EXACTLY.  Going too far can reduce an interruptor to a charm bracelet trinket! 

Oh, I don't know. Mine is coming along nicely. I currently have a safety dangling from it. :lol:

Disclaimer- First and foremost you accept the risk involved with taking your DA tuning to the next level. As we all know these guns vary from one to another, therefore any measurements need to be verified for your specific application. Failure to adhere to these steps will result in reduced DA pull, or SA pull falling back onto the disco wing. This isn't a fix for all guns and user discretion is advised before taking a dremel or file to any parts or components in your firearm.

As always we're constantly pushing the envelope of tuning the Tanfo platform. We tossed around the idea of a Gen 2 BOLO but decided against it due to many factors. The main being there really isn't anything wrong with the current design and the inconsistencies in the frame would cause more trouble than good for the changes we would make. So after careful consideration we've decided to share with you folks the "easiest" way to lengthen your DA pull on guns experiencing a shorter than average DA cycle. 

Its a rather quick and simple procedure, first you'll need to remove your BOLO from your Tanfo and get a measurement for its overall height as seen below. You should get 0.4650" if measuring the BOLO as seen below. 

B1.jpg.fcfe1a2a6e650e3519abc9a8aeee607f.jpg

Once a baseline measurement is achieved you'll want to begin to shave no more than .005" off at a time (this is one of those areas you need to go extremely slow and careful). Depending on your choose in tooling you can remove material pretty quickly, go slow and keep it straight. 

B2.jpg.5b16f16ff06119f0bfb25e761c7bd8d2.jpg

After each time you remove material, reinstall the BOLO and test your DA pull. You'll notice that the hammer will be traveling farther back than before (if done correctly). This is because some guns have a different ramp height cut in the frame. This ramp aides in throwing the interrupter off the trigger bar in your DA pull. So basically we're allowing the interrupter wing to sit slightly lower in your trigger bar which means the interrupter stays on the ramp longer thus your hammer travels further back in your DA pull. 

B5.jpg.479171cbd30e44d5215f3d4584b4507b.jpg

On average, the guns that need this performed to them will need between .010" and .020" removed from the bottom of the BOLO. There is a very fine line here and if you get to aggressive you end up with an interrupter that no longer contacts the ramp and will not disengage from the trigger bar....... which means your DA will never drop. Pic below depict where to remove material, remember to keep the cuts as square as possibly. If you have a mill i would recommend using that, I've shown a dremel because more than likely that's what most people will be using.  

B6.jpg.938322b652b9a57ead1daf1cf682ac76.jpg

In conclusion, if done properly we can normally get a hammer to increase its throw by .060" - .095" which may not seem like that much, will greatly increase the force as to how hard your hammer hits the FP. Best of luck and we hope this helps some of you out! 

I can attest, this WORKS.

if you need it. But, seriously one or 2/1000" too far and you WILL need a new interruptor. 

Also,  it can also REDUCE da pull force.  Resulting in a lighter trigger AND a harder strike on the primer.  Talk about a win-win!

Then you go one swipe more to make it "even more better"... and Joe sells another bolo! 

Some guns won't benefit as they don't need it. If your ramp in the frame shows rubs, you probably need it.

Use the graph paper to guage start and progress.

20170411_105920_zpsg562i1q_edit_14919272

I plan to scrap the first Bolo, then Optimize(tm) the second one .003" or so less. Unless I get stupid lucky. :D 

Also, it makes sense that it'll lighten the DA pull: the inclined plane that the trigger bar is pushing the disconnector up, so to speak, is longer and less steeply pitched.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

15 hours ago, johnbu said:

If you still have the factory interruptor,  they aren't as valuable. Better test case.

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Doing that. Excellent idea.

Just ensure the overall height and the wing is in the same place on each interrupter. I know some of the factory cast ones vary slightly. .....