Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOLO Tuning for a longer DA pull

There were a lot of rub marks on my frame, so decided I'd take a whirl at this. I'm on .4635 down from .4655. What are you guys using to determine a stopping point?

I'm tempted to buy a spare bolo and take it down in increments until it stops working, then I'll know the minimum size for my gun.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going until you scrap one, then leaving a few thousandths more is the only way to know for sure that you're gone as far as possible.

I achieved the reliability I wanted with .006" shaved off the nose, so that's where I stopped.

(I took off .003" and shot a full match with it without a single hiccup, then removed another 3 thousandths because I felt adventurous. Returned to the range, it worked, so I've left it alone.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It lit off two full matches worth of CCI **magnum** primers with a 15.5lb PD hammer spring and no light strikes in DA, so far.

The hammer comes back perhaps 1/8" farther than it used to, in DA. My bolo was rubbing on the frame quite severely.

It lit off two full matches worth of CCI **magnum** primers with a 15.5lb PD hammer spring and no light strikes in DA, so far.

The hammer comes back perhaps 1/8" farther than it used to, in DA. My bolo was rubbing on the frame quite severely.

My S2 is 100% but with EG Medium. ....I guess I need to do that mod

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Definitely have to go slow if you do this mod. Scrapped the bolo on my Lim Pro last night. Just took off .002

However my stock 2 I'm down .006 and it is still good to go. So now I have one to play with and see how far I can bump the stock 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took both of my Stock 2's down approx .0115 each. It amazes/worries me how different the tolerances can be on these Tanfos. i may be the anomaly here but i had some pretty serious rubbing going on with the BOLO on both of my guns. This mod has not only increased the hammer travel for me but also significantly lightened and smoothed out the DA pull in both guns.

Huge thank you again to PD :bow:

-Chase

BOLO.jpg

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Going until you scrap one, then leaving a few thousandths more is the only way to know for sure that you're gone as far as possible.

I achieved the reliability I wanted with .006" shaved off the nose, so that's where I stopped.

(I took off .003" and shot a full match with it without a single hiccup, then removed another 3 thousandths because I felt adventurous. Returned to the range, it worked, so I've left it alone.)

Just placed an order for a spare one, so I can try to go aggressive. I'd like to see if I can get the gun to run 100% on CCI using the 15.5 spring or lighter.

My gun is a winchester/federal primer only gun at the moment.

11 minutes ago, johnbu said:

^^ with this mod (correctly done), it should pop Wolf and Sellier and Bellot in DA using the 15.5PD spring, as long as the polish is good. 

Very cool, I'll find the maximum amount with this donor bolo, then test out some of the hard primers again.

My Titan hammer and 15.5 we're not able to pop CCI in double action at all.

2 hours ago, CarlB86 said:

Just placed an order for a spare one, so I can try to go aggressive. I'd like to see if I can get the gun to run 100% on CCI using the 15.5 spring or lighter.

My gun is a winchester/federal primer only gun at the moment.

Hmmm, if you get it near perfect will it still work if the temperature drops. 

For that reason I'd shave down bolo #2 like you set an overtravel screw, which consists of tightening it until the gun won't fire then backing it off not until the gun barely functions... but one full turn instead.

Reliablity comes from not having a gun on the razor's edge in any way.

Let's say .012" comes off of your bolo before you scrap it. In that case I'd probably take about .009" off the next one, because things expand or contract and parts are going to wear.

^^^This is interesting and something i had not thought of originally...

Im curious about the "wear" aspect of this modification...As mentioned i took off pretty close to .012 on each my BOLO's and I'm curious if over time they will wear down further and eventually one day just not operate the DA pull... @PatriotDefense  can you chime in on this?

-Chase

The bolo tastes like 4140 and squeezes between my fingers like a 58-60Rc hardness. If my taste buds and fingers are calibrated,  that means the wear will be negligible.

Someone told me my gun is only good for federal match primers.  maybe...

20170627_172851_zpskbzzmbck.jpg

6 hours ago, chaserracer said:

Im curious about the "wear" aspect of this modification...As mentioned i took off pretty close to .012 on each my BOLO's and I'm curious if over time they will wear down further and eventually one day just not operate the DA pull... @PatriotDefense  can you chime in on this?

-Chase

Your trigger bar will wear out before a modified bolo.

13 hours ago, chaserracer said:

-Chase

The BOLO will be one of the last pieces that wear in your gun, it's through hardened to RC50-52, and you would have to be shooting in extreme tempature shifts in order to see any kind of change in size........ and we would be talking about maybe .0001" of an inch

0.00034"

Is how much a bolo will shrink over 100 degree F.    if you fit yours at 70F and shot it on the freezer at -30F it would be that much smaller

Of course THE GUN would also shrink making the relative distances about equal.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Math nerd.

Math is good, but mother nature favors the hidden oversight. 

Took mine down .009 , seemed to drop d.a. by about 1/8 lb, hammer is going a smidge further back. 

New gun, no more tinkering before I get more rounds through it. After first polish & with 13# PD spring, titan hammer, bolo, pd sear & trigger springs, s.a. is about 3 & d.a. about 6 3/8, typical, or seems a bit heavy?

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Typical for a freshly worked gun. Dont obsess over pull weight on the bench. Get it reliable and shoot it a lot. 

My rough guess? A heavy month of shooting and then second round of polishing and you'll be at 5.6-5.8 and 2.5 or so. Nothing helps a new gun like throwing 1,000 rounds downrange.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Typical for a freshly worked gun. Dont obsess over pull weight on the bench. Get it reliable and shoot it a lot. 

My rough guess? A heavy month of shooting and then second round of polishing and you'll be at 5.6-5.8 and 2.5 or so. Nothing helps a new gun like throwing 1,000 rounds downrange.

:) 

Think I also screwed up and did not polish the sear face like it said in the video. After supper, or maybe beer. 

Hardest newbie thing doing all the stuff was messing with the pin in the right side safety, it was like their was paint inside the hole of the safety lever or it galled or something, after finally getting things apart I was able to work a tight fitting pin around inside the lever enough to get the hole clear. 

Took mine down to .460, installed it and Titan hammer. DA 5.9 - SA 2.7. The DA is 3 oz lighter than it was yesterday with the stock disco and the Delta hammer, PD 14 # HS. 100 rds yesterday WSP's 95 %. Today same ammo 100 %. Small sample size I know, time will tell.

Edited by Jeff O

On 6/26/2017 at 8:12 PM, CarlB86 said:

There were a lot of rub marks on my frame, so decided I'd take a whirl at this. I'm on .4635 down from .4655. What are you guys using to determine a stopping point?

I'm tempted to buy a spare bolo and take it down in increments until it stops working, then I'll know the minimum size for my gun.

Played with my spare today. Hit my previous minimum, .4635 and it felt identical to the original I cut down to .4635.

Went down to .4630 on my quest to find the limit. I may have found it. The gun has some noticeable stacking as it gets to the very end of hammer travel. I'll probably just test this "experimental" bolo with some CCI primers.