Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOLO Tuning for a longer DA pull

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Update: Ended up taking another .003" off of it without scrapping anything, and called it good at that point. Hammer comes back another .030" or so.

With a PD 15.5, the gun lit off anything at a 5.8lb DA pull weight this weekend. I mean CCI Magnums and Tula primers loaded on a 650 - it doesn't care.

No more EGD Medium spring. No more stacking DA pull.

glad you tried it out and it sounds like it worked out great for ya!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Update: Ended up taking another .003" off of it without scrapping anything, and called it good at that point. Hammer comes back another .030" or so.

With a PD 15.5, the gun lit off anything at a 5.8lb DA pull weight this weekend. I mean CCI Magnums and Tula primers loaded on a 650 - it doesn't care.

No more EGD Medium spring. No more stacking DA pull.

Now your gun is as good as mine! 

Nice. 

GM card getting mailed soon? Haha.

40 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Now your gun is as good as mine! 

Nice. 

GM card getting mailed soon? Haha.

I shot a middling 79-80% on El Prez this weekend (amazingly enough my first time shooting it for score,) so I doubt that's coming anytime soon.

I'd need to do some of that irritating practice stuff. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I shaved it down to .359" which is where I'm going to stop for now. It was definitely rubbing the frame in my gun, too.

So you shaved it down from 0.462" to 0.359"? That seems a lot.

Mine is also 0.462", and the ramp has very heavy marks of the disco pressing down on it. I am going to follow what you did.

Oops. No. Down to .459" 

Then finally to .456" if I recall correctly, on the second pass.

It lights CCI #550  Magnum primers 100% right now with a 15.5lb PD spring. Which is great. Those primers were easy to find everywhere, even during a shortage... and I have a ton of them.

I intend to shoot 550s at locals and for practice, and Winchesters for majors. Without lightening the hammer spring, I know it'll go bang 110% of the time on Win's.

I took ~ three thousandths off the bolo each time, and I did it twice.

1 hour ago, JusticeOfToren said:

So you shaved it down from 0.462" to 0.359"? That seems a lot.

Mine is also 0.462", and the ramp has very heavy marks of the disco pressing down on it. I am going to follow what you did.

Carefullyread this ---> EACH gun is different. Yours may not need or take the same mod dimensions as others. Just use as a common (possible) starting point.

Even though MM made that typo, don't go using other people's dimensions. 

Edited by SoCalShooter69

And if it's super duper great taking 0.006" off, it may be a charm bracelet trinket at 0.008"!  More isn't always better ! (Unless you are selling bolo's)

The line from great to junk is thin!

On 6/7/2017 at 8:31 AM, johnbu said:

But his was swinging full arc already.

How does a person tell if the hammer is swinging full arc in d.a. ?

I.E. this seems like really good stuff, but I am wondering if you can measure & optimize or if it is just something you go to if you are having light strikes in d.a. .  

I believe you mean Optimize™ ... :P:D 

Step one is to see if your disconnector rubs on the frame ramp in the first place. If it does, this could help. If not, it's a waste of time.

Mark it with a sharpie and dryfire the gun a few dozen times.

I shaved it down from 0.462'' to 0.458''.  The problem I was trying to solve is sporadic short stroke of DA, maybe 10% of the time.  During those times, I had trouble ignite SB primers, but otherwise the gun is 100% on WSP & SB primers.  At 0.458'' it appears the sporadic DA short strokes are gone during dry fire.  I will be able to tell for sure during live fires. 

Edited by JusticeOfToren

FYI,  I found SB primers to be a ROYAL PITA to seat consistently.  Maybe just my equipment and process, but some would seat at flush when the rest were 0.006" deep.  I'm more anal about things and have had better luck recently.

35 minutes ago, johnbu said:

FYI,  I found SB primers to be a ROYAL PITA to seat consistently.  Maybe just my equipment and process, but some would seat at flush when the rest were 0.006" deep.  I'm more anal about things and have had better luck recently.

Agreed.  I crushed more SB primers than all other brands (CCI, WSP and FED) combined. Their dimension uniformity obvious has some consistency issues.

Edited by JusticeOfToren

12 hours ago, johnbu said:

I use graph paper.

Old school :) , think I will do that and also double check using mm's machinist approach. 

Might as well order a spare bolo from Patriot defense . . . .

Edited by IHAVEGAS

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Old school :) , think I will do that and also double check using mm's machinist approach. 

Might as well order a spare bolo from Patriot defense . . . .

Hey now!  I'm not old, but... dirt was still clean when I was in school.  And you guys with your modern new fangled inventions like chalk boards.  We used to have to chisel our essays into granite ... with a rock!

Question, do i need to maintain the semi-curve face angle of the BOLO where you are suggesting to remove the material from or am i ok to file it flat? any recommendations on a dremel vs file on this?

many thanks.

-Chase

I filed it flat, as level as I could with a Dremel sanding band.  Then polished a little bit with 2000 grit sand paper and blue magic.

BTW I have confirmed in live fire my sporadic DA short stroke is gone now.  800 rounds SB primer not a single light strike.  

I want to thank PD for providing detailed modification tutorials. 

Edited by JusticeOfToren

31 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I would have more money if people weren't so damned helpful with this type of information. 

2 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I filed it flat, as level as I could with a Dremel sanding band.  Then polished a little bit with 2000 grit sand paper and blue magic.

BTW I have confirmed in live fire my sporadic DA short stroke is gone now.  800 rounds SB primer not a single light strike.  

I use SB primers too, i'm getting light strike with Wolff and PD 13 lbs hammer spring, will do this tune up.

Which hammer spring are you using and what's you DA/SA weight ?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, cjsn said:

I use SB primers too, i'm getting light strike with Wolff and PD 13 lbs hammer spring, will do this tune up.

Which hammer spring are you using and what's you DA/SA weight ?

Thanks!

I use Xtreme light hammer spring, which is the 13lbs equivalent of PD hammer spring.  DA 4lbs 12oz, SA 1lb 13 oz.