Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt won't lock open .

I have two AR 9's. Number one gun Colt works perfect.

Number 2 gun is a problem. CMMG lower assembly with the forged, no block mag well. Upper is a complete RRA including the bolt.

Problem, bolt will not manually lock back. Gun shoots fine, just won't lock the bolt back.

i take the RRA bolt and put it in the Colt it locks back fine. I take the Colt bolt and put it in the CMMG and the bolt locks back fine.

I am stumped. 

2 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Just run them they way that they lock the bolt back if you want it to lock back. Is one bolt longer or lighter than the other? Thanks, Eric

The problem is on Make Ready. I have to try and seat a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt. I want to lock the bolt back but can't.

Edited by Gary Stevens
15 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Now we are getting some place. Check to see if both bolt catches are the same. One maybe a 9mm and the other maybe a standard one. Thanks, Eric

They are not. The Colt has the mag block which apparently helps hold the bolt back. 

1 minute ago, Nghthwk1911 said:

You can lock the bolt back on Make ready.

Doesn't it just apply pressure on the original bolt hold open? As soon as pressure is released now the bolt goes forward.

i'm willing to try it. Send me one and if it works I'll consider paying you for it ?

A picture of the bolt catch might help. Could it be damaged or cracked?

So if you pull the charging handle all the way back and press bolt catch up nothing happens and when you release the charging handle the bolt closes? What does it look like with how the bolt catch is engaging the bolt when looking in through the ejection port while doing this? 

And if you can't manually lock the bolt back because the bolt catch isn't working then the BAD lever won't help.

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

The 9mm bolt catch with the longer tine for engaging the mag follower should work for manually locking the bolt back and maintaining the LRBHO. I'd think this is what's already in your CMMG lower, but it may have been damaged. http://www.primaryarms.com/cmmg-ar-9-bolt-catch-for-9mm-ar-rifles-90ca572

Your right that is it exactly. It seems that the BHO doesn't push up far enough to get a good purchase on the bolt. It barely touches the bolt then slides off. I'll try plan A first and see how that works.

7 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Now we are getting some place. Check to see if both bolt catches are the same. One maybe a 9mm and the other maybe a standard one. Thanks, Eric

Gary: I think I said this above? maybe you should stick with single stack :roflol:Thanks, Eric

I love Single Stack, but I can't find any downside to PCC. At 70 years (young) I have an optic, minor power factor scored against other minor power factor, a three point hold on the carbine, and a 40 round magazine for 99 percent of the stages.

What could be better?

I've been shooting PCC since it became available and love it.

My friends .223 had the same issue. Drive the retaining pin out inspect/clean the spring and bore. His had gotten some debris in with the spring limiting the travel of the catch. Cleaned and lubed it and problem solved.

Gary, I am glad to see that you are enjoying PCC.  Need to get Donnie out there and try it.  That is all that I have now and I really like it.  It is like shooting open with a rifle.  Hope the bolt catch gets fixed.

Well problem solved. Replace 9nn BHO with a standard BHO, no joy still won't lock open.

Took the rifle to Don at Advanced Weapons Technology for help. Don took some metal off of the back of the BHO and now I am locked back to perfection.

Happy Days are here again.

Edited by Gary Stevens