Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Targets

Petrov

Check out MGM's plate rack in a bucket. It isn't much more than the freestanding plates and includes hangers and brackets.   Falling steel is fun but for practicing static or self resetting steel is a lot less work.  I'd go with the static unless you have a lot of free time to shoot. 

https://mgmtargets.com/plate-racks-dueling-trees/steel-challenge-plate-rack

Jtielke is spot on. The plate rack in a bucket is a solid choice as are the new sportsman line of hanging plates. I do about 90% of my "steel" practice with static steel split between pistol, PCC and shotgun. Falling steel in practice is useful for keeping you honest with the shotgun, but I use MGM auto poppers most of the time for that. I do set up normal poppers every now and then to make sure I'm not cheating myself on shotgun, but otherwise static steel saves you reset time in practice. 

Just put in an order.  How long should the target holder 2x4 be?

Cant wait for this to come in. I am a decent shot my my target transition and follow up skills are somewhere between whale poop and dog poop.

• 2 weeks later...
Cant wait for this to come in. I am a decent shot my my target transition and follow up skills are somewhere between whale poop and dog poop.

I'd say get the targets about the same height as the ones on the steel challenge stages. I think all circles are at 5'?

On 6/1/2017 at 1:01 PM, Petrov said:

8' with targets spaced 14" apart

So I did some shooting today. Set it up at 19 yards. I was pretty darn slow. Was a bit tough with my revolver and H&Kvp9sk but my 22 rimfire LOVED eating up those plates!

Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction!